Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Sportsman 400 vs. Kodiak vs. Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004 | 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 400 vs. Kodiak vs. Eiger

I ride with a grizzly 660 (irs) and a kodiak 450 (sra). We all have winches. They both have locking front diffs. I am typically the faster, more agressive rider on the trails, so they follow me. We have never been in a situation where not having a locking diff was required (we have either all made it thru, or have all gotten stuck and had to turn around). Its been more about momentum, picking the correct line on the trail, body position on the atv, throttle, braking, having a winch, etc. When we find a place where the kodiak and grizzly can go and the eiger cannot, believe me, I will post. Would I like a locking diff? Sure, but in the meantime, I have an extra $1000-$2000 bucks. Now go take on the day.

joe.

Old 02-23-2004 | 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

AMEN, BROTHER!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2004 | 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Perfectly said!

Old 02-23-2004 | 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Is it just me or do the rest of you see a theme about the Eiger coming out? Everyone seems to ride aggressively (me too), seems to think this is the best machine for the money (me too), and the funnest (me too!), and thinks it will hang with bout anything on the planet (me too!!!).

BTW, IRS isn't as much fun on the side of a mountain where most of my time is spent.

Simplicity rules! (so do the Eigers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )

Old 02-23-2004 | 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
Is it just me or do the rest of you see a theme about the Eiger coming out? Everyone seems to ride aggressively (me too), seems to think this is the best machine for the money (me too), and the funnest (me too!), and thinks it will hang with bout anything on the planet (me too!!!).

BTW, IRS isn't as much fun on the side of a mountain where most of my time is spent.

Simplicity rules! (so do the Eigers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )
IRS is ALOT more fun and will go where that SRA will not on the side of "my mountain" where I spend ALL of my time!!

Old 02-24-2004 | 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I'll be honest, I don't really know much about the IRS but my dealer told me I wouldn't like it because it feels unstable on hills, and the only 2 guys I know who have polaris say that the mountain feels too steep or scary.

Maybe on the big 660 it doesn't have the limitations that others tell me about.

Old 02-24-2004 | 04:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
I'll be honest, I don't really know much about the IRS but my dealer told me I wouldn't like it because it feels unstable on hills, and the only 2 guys I know who have polaris say that the mountain feels too steep or scary.

Maybe on the big 660 it doesn't have the limitations that others tell me about.
I suppose all quads feel unstable at some point and situation!!! Don't get me wrong I have owned SRA Utility machines before in the past and it does in fact work very well!! Your dealer will tell you what he thinks will sell his machine to you!!! Trust me thats what he is in business to do!! Just wait till Zuki introduces the IRS Utility thats supposed to be out soon, go down to that dealer and see if he turns you away from that quad!! If he thinks you will buy it, he will use the sell pitch that he thinks will get your money into his pocket!! Why do I think that? Put yourself in his shoes, you make your living off of selling ATV's, now you wouldnt make up a lie or trash other brands in doing so?? To be completely honest, I have not yet found any limitations on my machine besides maybe not accelarating as fast as the Prairie! I have of course found advantages to owning my machine!! Those advantages being IRS and diff-lock! Most people probably will never need the diff-lock, but you know something, just knowing I have the same 4wd that all other non-locking differentialed quad has but with a bonus of being able to completely lock ALL 4 wheels!! Me personally I use my diff-lock EVERY single time I ride up at "my mountain", it truly is a must! So to me ANY brand that has a diff-lock is far superior to one that does not! For the place that I ride, the diff-lock and IRS is a must! Please don't think that I am downing the Eiger by any means, I am only saying that with the KodiaK or sportsman, you are getting EVERY feature that the Eiger has and things the Eiger does not have! So in my opinion, if one is not brand loyal, I would think the average person would choose what offers the most benefits of a purchase regardless of make or model wouldnt you agree????

Old 02-24-2004 | 10:03 AM
Range Rover

I discovered one more feature the Kodiak has over the Eiger. An extra 1,000 bucks tacked onto the price tag. Just thought you should compare apples to apples.

Old 02-24-2004 | 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Well said, TG660. I'm a believer in the theory that you get what you pay for (unless you have bad luck and buy something made on a friday). Unfortunately, the 500cc and bigger machines were out of my price range, and I couldn't justify their added benefits and cost for my use just as a recreational toy. That said, a sub 500cc machine would have to do, and trying to get the most for your money was how I ended up w/ the eiger. I went to each mfg website and checked all the specs as well. Then went to the dealers and made my decision. Now go take on the mountain.

joe.

Old 02-24-2004 | 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

I understand your dealer comment but my dealer carries everythin but Yamaha (thats in a small town a lil closer to me). He showed me the Cats, the Bombardiers, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawi. I was there to buy an Eiger. I'd already made up my mind. Actually he was trying his damnest to get me on an Outlander. When I went back to check out the Cat 650 (with IRS) he and a couple other customers said that the IRS wouldn't slide as well in the turns and that donuts could actually evict you from the quad. He knows my style of riding and I've been dealing with him for 31 years.

When I rode a Honda trx200 I thought that was the only thing you needed, then I got the 250x and thought that was the honey, then I got the lt300, then the Recon and I thought 4wd was unnessasary. Then my friends started gettin 4wd and I found out that it was better. I thought there was no way I would ever get an auto, the auto clutch was bad enough but FULL auto?? Now I love it. Maybe the next step for me is the locker.

To me the locker is like power windows on a truck, you don't REALLY need it but it sure is nice to have.

You are right about the brand loyalty thing. I think they are all pretty much the same these days but the manufacturers have to put different things on there machines to make them seem different. Thats why I always say that you need to go sit on em and ride em to see which features appeal to you and your style.

I like simplicity. I like the mechanically activated 4 to 2wd. I like the simplicity of the SRA.

When I ride I worry about tearing the 2 cv boots that I currently have, 2 more would add to the fire.

Its hard to compare the 660 Grizz to anything else I can afford. Wife, 2 daughters (1 at University of Evansville-now in the UK studiing abroad, 1 expecting my 2nd grandbaby), and a son who has a way of tearing up anything he touches. The Eiger fit my budget and I haven't regretted it one time.

BTW tel griz, you post at 2 in the afternoon and at 3 in the morning, when do you sleep?

Quick Reply: Sportsman 400 vs. Kodiak vs. Eiger