Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger POS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 02 Eiger 2x4 auto. It has knocked from the lower end sense 4 miles. At first the dealer told me this is normal. On my second trip they agreed there was a problem. They have done all that Suzuki has told them, still no fix, day seven. All they can tell me is that it's in the engine and it sounds quite bad. Brain Platt with Suzuki customer service is unwilling to do anything other than keep tearing my bike apart. I have owned this POS for 3 weeks, been in the shop for 10 of those 21 days so far and counting. If any of you are thinking of buying this bike I would deeply consider a different make. I know that all makes have bad apples but Suzuki's customer service isn't worth a $hit, they don't care about the customer. If anyone can help me please contact me. Thanks, Jerry, Palm Bay, FL

Old 05-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like they sold you one of the older recalled ones with bad crankshafts or something like that.

How much do you trust your dealer? I would try another dealer, they should fix it no problem being new.

I believe this model is one of the best atv's on the market, we have had allot of machines and this is the best 400 cc machine bar none!!! Sorry you are having trouble.

Old 05-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

This is the only dealer with in 150 miles. I had them run the VIN number, it doesnt fall with in the recall numbers. Who knows, I'm now talking with my lawyer and the local news channel.

Old 05-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck !!

I had a similar problem with a Chevy truck, Almost impossible to get GM to do anything...
Keep the pressure on them, Try to get ahold of the dealer rep...

Old 05-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

IS THERE A LEMON LAW IN FLORIDA? IN GEORGIA A DEALER HAS THREE ATTEMPTS TO FIX A PROBLEM ON A VEHICLE UNDER WARRANTY, AFTER THAT WE CAN FILE FOR ARBITRATION. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING AND GET WRITTEN STATEMENTS FROM DEALER ON WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO FIX IT. USUALLY JUST BY STARTING THAT PROCESS ROLLING A DEALER WILL CAVE RATHER THAN HAVING TO SPEND TIME IN COURT AND MONEY.SEND CERTIFIED MAIL TO REP STATING YOUR INTENTIONS. THAT MIGHT MAKE HIM MORE FRIENDLY. GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your eiger. I have an eiger 4x4 manuel and love it.

Have your lawyer look into breach of express and implied warranties. You can also possibly make a case under a violation of the federal Magnuson-Moss Act. If you are successful under Magnuson, you get your attorney fees and costs paid by the manufacturer.

Have your attorney keep the pressure on the dealer and the manufacturer. Your state probably has other consumer protection laws that are available to you.

Look into the possibility of filing a complaint with your state attorney general or the Better Business Bureau.

I am an Eiger fan but I hate to hear of your bad luck. If you have gotten a lemon, someone needs to step up to the plate and either fix it or replace it.

As a practicing attorney, those are my thoughts. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
eigerguy

Old 05-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks all, lemon law doesn't apply to OHVs. Suzukis swear it will be fixed. Today the dealer told me that its in the engine and not in the tranny...

Old 05-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear about your problems. Ours has been perfect for a 185 miles now. Kind of drastic, but you may have to take it out and just ride it until it breaks. That way they would have to fix it! Right? Don't give them any chance to claim abuse. If it's as bad as it sounds it's not long for this world and should come from together fairly quickly.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the automatic use the same type of auto-clutch as the 5-speed? Reason I ask is that I had a knocking problem with my 4x4 5-speed Eiger. It made a random knocking noise from low down on the right side, usually at idle. Most times, it would go away at higher speeds but not always.

In my case, the dealer found it right away. Seems that the pressure type lock washer on the main nut for the auto-clutch was installed backwards. It no longer operated as a lock washer so the auto-clutch nut was free to run up and down the shaft. The nut could not come off, as the casing was too close to the end of the shaft. The auto-clutch assembly was now loose and would rattle. Speeding up in forward would tighten it back up for a while.

It was a simple fix - tip the bike up at a 45 degree angle, remove the auto-clutch casing, take off the nut and turn the washer around. Put it all back together and the noise has never returned.

I disagree with calling the Eiger a POS. You may have gotten a lemon, every ATV model out there has some. You may have a dealer with a bad service department. In any event, the Eiger is a simple basic machine. It lacks most of the frills on the 'top of the line' bikes and I think that is to it's advantage. I think in time the simplicity of the Eiger will give it the reputation of one of the most reliable and bulletproof ATV's out there.

Jaybee

Old 05-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Day 10 and still no answer on whats wrong with my eiger. How long does it take to trouble shoot a 1 cyl engine? All I was told is that the knock is coming from the motor (bottom end) and not the tranny.

Quick Reply: Eiger POS