Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

new to the boards... got a Q on a 85 Quad sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all i just picked up a 1985 suzuki quad sport 230. this is my first 4 wheeler so i dont know a whole lot about them. i am mechanically inclined though so i shouldnt have trouble picking it up. anyhow... i need to tighten the chain and am wondering how i would go about this. someone told me its the ring in the middle of the rear axle with the holes in it. i didnt know weather to trust him or not. thanks for any help you provide me with

Old 05-09-2002, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thinking***** Man, I can't remember what the 230 rear end looks like. Buy a manual[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks but i figured it out. i just noticed that the center thing on the axle is offset so if you turn it one way it tightens and the other way loosens. my next step will be to take a link out of the chain since i am as far as i can go with the tensioner. would you reccomend taking a link out or should i sheel out the cash for a chain?

Old 05-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

All the chains I've ever bought(which were all D.I.D) were very long and needed several links removed, so if your chain is in good shape, might as well just remove a link from it, rather than shelling out the money for a new chain. BTW, the "center thing" is called an axle carrier, for future reference!

Old 05-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I took a link out of my 86 LT230 chain and it worked great. The Q-sports were cool old quads!
Check out my old Q-sport at my website, bobcatv8.org.

Old 05-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, they'e pretty good at everything except MX type riding. I kinda miss mine, it was my first "real" quad. I could climb anything with that, even stuff that a couple 4X4 guys couldn't! Then I started letting my friend ride it and he broke the Steering Stem, Case cover, and bent my front wheels., then I sold it and 1 hour after I sold it, it blew up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] A stroll down memory lane...

Old 05-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks ltracer for the info. what do you guys use for oil in a 4 stroke it says 10-w40 can i just use regular 10-w40 or is there some special oil i need? also why are front brake pads so expensive for my quad?

Old 05-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I use the Honda 4 stroke oil in all my quads. I've heard that it has an additive package that the trans gears and clutches need. It costs more but better safe than sorry over a couple of bucks price difference. I've never been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to parts prices, and I'm in the Ford parts business! Just keep it running good, it's a good solid well engineered quad, especially for its age! Check around on parts prices, I've seen some big differences out there. Lots of Q-sports were made in the day so parts are readily available. Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea i know about Fords Pricing one thing is alot and it seems such a simple part and another that is way complex is cheap. (my dad has been a ford parts manager for a long time and worked in parts for all his career)

Old 05-11-2002, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

That's cool. I'm a parts manager at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership. Does your dad dislike the way Ford is treating the dealers as much as I do? I noticed your sig, You got a 5.0 in a Ranger? I've got a totalled out 85 5.0 Ranger that belongs to my best friend in my back yard that we built back in '96. Seems like we have a lot in common.

Quick Reply: new to the boards... got a Q on a 85 Quad sport