Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Newbie Sport Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have never riden a sport quad. All I have ever riden were 4x4s so I have tons of quading experience, well since 1988 or so anyways. I have some questions about the new Z400 I'm buying this week.

First off, the chain, what kind of care and maintenance should I do to it? What should I look out for. Will driving in sand most of time wear down the chain or should I just keep it oiled up all the time.

Gas, what kind of gas should I run in the Z400, premium or will just normal octane work?

Clutch, I know I have to use the clutch for changing gears but I have heard you don't need to use the clutch past 1st gear. Is this true? Will this hurt the clutch? Also can someone explain to me how I should be using the clutch properly, I don't want to take it out prematurely.

Oil, what kind if oil do you use? I have used 100% synthetic in my 4x4s for years and I have never had a problem.

What should I buy with the quad? Ie, extra chain, extra filer, special oil, etc.

How hard is it to add a new exhaust? How about changing the jetting?

Any other things you can think of that would help out a sport quad newbie? Thanks allot everyone.

Old 05-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think I can help you with some of your questions:
1- For the chain you can buy some chain lube but make sure it is safe for o-ring chains. I have heard that some oils can eat the o-rings. Just clean it after every ride and oil it as needed.
2- For gas you will probably want to run at least 92 octane but check the manual. It will give you a minimum recommendation.
3- You will want to use the clutch every time you shift. I am not an expert with this but I think you can wear out your gears if you don't use it. Someone else can probably comment better on this. To shift just let off the gas, pull the clutch in, and shift. You'll get used to it and then you will wonder how you ever rode a bike before without a clutch.
4- Again, I would check the manual or with your dealer on the oil. You definitely don't want to get cheap oil as the savings are not worth it in the long run. Make sure you follow the recommended maintenance schedule for changing the oil.
5- To add an exhaust (just the tailpipe) is a snap. Just remove the old silencer and bolt the new one on. You will want to rejet when doing this which is also a snap. The main jet should be on the bottom of the carb. There should be a bolt on the very bottom that is the main jet. Just make sure you turn your gas off before doing this. Then just remove the old main jet and put the new one in. The pipe manufacturer should give you recommendations on rejetting.

I think the most important thing is to keep the air filter clean and change the oil frequently. Also follow the breakin procedure and the maintenance schedule (valves, grease, ...) and you won't have any problems. Remember to ride it like you stole it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Don't oil your chain. Spray-on Chain Wax is a great product. Dirt and sand won't stick to it. The o-rings will keep the inside of the chain lubricated, but the wax will lube between the rollers and the sprockets. Never get a pressure washer near your chain, or any grease zirks or near any joints in suspension like a-arms or swingarm/axle etc. Pressure washer junkies have really clean pieces of crap. In a year I have only had to adjust the chain on my DS twice. I chainwax almost every time I ride.

Use premium unleaded.

Always clutch. A quick blip of the throttle and a quick pull is all you need to make your tranny last 10 times longer than guys who think they don't need to use the clutch to shift. If you are a factory rider and can have a new tranny every race, by all means, don't use the clutch.

Manual clutch motors share oil with engine, gearbox and clutch. Too slick oils, like synthetics, will screw up the clutch. Follow manufacturer's or dealer's reccomendations. Other oils may work, but why screw around?

Opening up the airbox, an aftermarket exhaust and rejetting will get you more power and torque and usually a wider powerband. And get you in trouble with the neighbors. We've had good luck with the HMF quiet core.

A wider rear axle is a tremendous bang for the buck in the handling dept.
Woods riders like 'em narrow. The rest of us like to SLIDE.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
A wider rear axle for the new Zuki has got to be right around the corner.
Anybody called Durablue?

Works or better front shocks will make a huge improvement to ride and handling. Sports are a lot more effort to ride than utilities, because you are going So Much Faster!
By the way. You'll never go back to a utility.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2002, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

So your saying I shouldn't clean the chain, grease zirks or near any joints in suspension like a-arms or swingarm/axle etc because why? I don't have a pressure washer but I have a garden hose, I don't think the garden hose has enough pressure to remove any grease, if thats what your talking about.

I'll use the clutch all the time, but its going to slow shifting for a while. I'll probably get used to it and try clutching on my 500i, hehe.

I won't put any mods on it till next summer probably, it all depends on how I feel the power is and how is suits me. If I need more power then I guess I would have to upgrade. Talking about more power, my 500i puts out 14 hp or so and it weights 650lbs + rider and I have fun with it now. I can only imagine 33hp at 375 lbs + rider. It must be powerfull.

I'm going to the big city this weekend, I'll look around for some stuff.

You can count on me going back to my utility, its fun in the swamps we have here. There are more swamps here than dry ground, but we have a huge glacial deposit of sand here that the dirt bikes ride on. Thats why I bought the Z400, so I can play with them too.

Old 05-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

A garden hose shouldn't hurt anything. A pressure washer will actually squirt water right into a grease zirk. Pressure washers are very damaging to suspension joints and chains. Normally the seals will keep water out, but not from a pressure washer. Once the water is behind the seal, there is no way out. Corrosion, rust, part failure. I use a pressure washer occasionally, but I stay away from chains and joints.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2002, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

The clutch isn't bad to get used to, give it about a week or two and you'll love it. You'll be wanting to put a manual clutch on the 500[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 05-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

For oil on my ds i use Castrol GTX 10w-40.Cheaper then the stuff that you buy at the dealership

Old 05-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

That presure washer thing isnt true my freinds use a presure washer on all there quads every time they go riding and nothing has happend to there quads.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Is it safe for clutches? I have heard from two sources now that say synthetic oils are not good enough for clutchs. I don't think the oil you are using is synthetic. So is all oil that is not synthetic clutch approved?

Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

bbertram,
For the oil I would do just what fourlix said, follow the manufacturers or dealers recommendations.

Quick Reply: Newbie Sport Questions