Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 dyno run

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this has been posted but check out http://www.gtthunder.com/400z.html

Old 05-14-2002, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the link, Guido. Hmmm, I remember in another thread when I reported that Allen Knowles from CT dynoed this quad at 33RWHP and several people refused to believe it. Now we've got another dyno that found the same results?????

Old 05-14-2002, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is reverse meg?????????????????

Old 05-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

33 RWHP is about the same as the raptor correct?

Old 05-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

the 49-state model of the Raptor makes ~39 RWHP while the California version makes ~35 RWHP, so I've been told...

Old 05-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen stock Raptor runs from 34hp up to 36hp....so no, not quite.

Wow, 33hp. I was close. I've always said between 32 and 34, when looking at the specs. I'm sorry guys, but Suzuki wussed out. They where obviously going after the 400ex. Same MSRP, added reverse, liquid cooling, and 3 HP. Now, a 400ex is not going for MSRP anywhere in the states. So add a higher compression stock bore piston and the XR cam for a total of $300, and it's right back in the game.

If I would have been in the developent of this quad, I would have keep the carb, cams, and the higher compression piston of the DRZ engine, blew the 400ex right out of the water and compete with the Raptor.

I'm not saying it's not a decent quad, just 1 of the Big 4 has to take a more aggressive aproach when it comes to sport quads. Who would have thought of a 660cc 4x4? Automotive style tranny in a quad?

Suzuki missed their chance at greatness.....

Old 05-14-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Cali Raptors are running about 35HP the other state Raptors are running around 38hp. Mine stock dynoed at 38.6hp. With my pipe and air box mods i got 48.4HP. That was after getting it jetted right. When i followed dyno jets instructions i was only running 43.9. Richened the main and leaned the needles and got a better power curve and good HP increase. Its suprizing what a dialed in quad will run when compared to one that just seems to run good. I am planning on picking up a Z for my girl since she outgrew her 85lt250R. We were getting a Raptor for her until she saw the Z. Then i talked to Tom at TC and he said expect around 40HP jetted and piped with the air box opened up sso i decided she could have it. I wanted her to have a Raptor so she could keep up but after seeing them nubers it should be plenty fast. Who knows after she gets hers if i like it i may get one too or wait for the Kawi version to come out since i like green better than yellow. It should be pretty much the same bike just different color. I heard they may change ther plastic design. That would be nice. Even tho the Z looks badarse.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I agree they should have the used the DRZ400 motor instead of the DRZ400S. It's just sitting right there for them to use! I think most manufacturers like a happy medium where it is somewhat powerful and will appeal to riders who like to race and go fast and somewhat tame for the slowpoke riders who like ride around their farm. Look at the Raptor. What kind of idiot would make it that narrow? I guess they wanted to keep people who ride in the woods happy but they didn't need to make it that narrow.

I'm still happy with my Z400 but if I had a choice, I would have taken the 38-40hp motor over anything slower.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

This is what I think Suzuki is doing. They release a new sport quad, the Z400. It was never meant to compete with the raptor, ds or dales. It was aimed at the mid range market, people just starting out and learning how to ride a sport quad but have previous riding experience on other ATVs. I have heard suzuki is going to make a bigger bore version in the next couple of years. It might even happen for 2004. They are supposed to be making a smaller one too.

They also probably looked at what sells the most and targeted that area of the market, oh course they could have made a big bore sport quad that would eat the raptor or ds. Its all economics, they need to get back into the sport quad business, what better way to do that then to make a quad targeted at the best selling sport bike and then one up it. From what I hear on these forums and other places that I call they are selling like hot cakes.

I can see yamaha releasing a smaller raptor next year to compete in this market. Suzuki just chose to enter this market segment first. Just wait till they release the big bore version, Z650? Maybe a twin? Maybe EFI? Who knows, I just know its going to kick major butt.

I just hate it when people compare the Z400 to those big bore quads, its not even fair. Different markets.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

<<
I can see yamaha releasing a smaller raptor next year to compete in this market. Suzuki just chose to enter this market segment first. Just wait till they release the big bore version, Z650? Maybe a twin? Maybe EFI? Who knows, I just know its going to kick major butt.

I just hate it when people compare the Z400 to those big bore quads, its not even fair. Different markets.
>>

Huh? Different markets? It'll be labeled the same in their flyer, and in any mag. &quot;High Performance&quot; quads. So it is in the same market as the Cannibal, 400ex, Raptor, Banshee, DS and what have ya. They're all targeted at the same group of buyers also.

I think a DRZ'engined quad, with the 36-38hp, would have de-throned the 250r as the best production quad ever built. I would not have bought the C-dale if Zuk would have done this. And I guarantee
, a 400ex or Raptor price slash wouldn't stop people from getting it.

I think it will have a good summer salesdollars wise. But I don't see it climbing every month like the 400ex did. The 400ex was a revolutionary quad back in 99....the LTZ400 is just another quad release......

Quick Reply: Z400 dyno run