Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Is the z400 faster then the raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002 | 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

I am hoping the Z's react to bolt ons like a Raptor (13+ with a pipe & jetting) Instead of like a 400EX (Less than 2 HP with a pipe & jets?)

I'd hate to have spent $600 for a pipe & jets for 2 stinkin HP!!

Old 05-30-2002 | 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

If you want to see some real fast pure drag quads (3.50's @ 90+ MPH)
go to My web site & check out some of the Pro 1 quads that race at Atoka.

Old 05-30-2002 | 10:22 AM
Range Rover

I was incorrect about the price of an 02 Raptor for $5700.00. It's $5600.00 & there's an 01 for $5400.00. Also, 02 Banshee's are $5,199.00 & there's an 01 for $4999.00. Overall it seems like the LTZ400 is pretty close or even faster than a Raptor. I'm very impressed by it & hope to see more wicked machines for a reasonable price produced. Until they make a stock quad that can do 90mph... my stock my Raptor is my last mistake for the atv industry, because we're getting the shaft!!!! Just goes to show you how manufacturers get over on dutuning atvs. Remember...when the Raptor came out they mentioned that the bike had too much torque, so they did some slicing & dicing to it. Great job Suzuki with the new LTZ400...a star is born!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] No bashing, just smashing with some real info.

Old 05-30-2002 | 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Being i own both a Z and a Raptor i will tell yah the whole story.

Handling:
Z is Slightly better than the Raptor But lacks due to the same stock garbage tires as the Raptor. Also the rear shock has a pogo stick feeling to it on the Z.

Power: Not as torquey as a Raptor at all and feels week compared to my bros stock Raptor.

Drag:
No contest. The stock Raptor wins every time by 2-4 bike lengths. My piped and jetted/filter with air lid on Raptor is around 6-8 bike lengths. Raced on black top, grass and dirt in around a 300ft run and results were always the same. Cali Raptors are slightly slower so if you live in Cali it would be closer.

I could see the Z being a good racer but when you get the HP up to Raptor standards you have more in the z then a Raptor. The Z and Raptor both need after market axles since they both bend easily. My Fiance bent hers doing a 30 footer table top. Both set up for racing with all the goodies running the same HP the Raptor would be cheaper to build and have more HP left to find with a 686 or cam and piston. The Z's only advantage would be its 30lb weight advantage and is a better fit for ridders up to 5'10". I am 6'2" and feel a little cramped on the Z. Another advantage of te Z would be the ability to not have to race open class witch is why i got mine so i can run open with the Raptor and the 440cc limit classes with the Z.

I personally think the 02 Raptor and The Z are great bikes and you wouldnt regret buying either one. The only deciding factor would be if your planning on leaving it bone stock or just a lip on and tires I would take the raptor over the Z just because it is a more exillerating ride with just a slip on pipe and in stock condition. The only advantage i think as for stock for stock is the lower price on the Z. Both are great and i am sure you would enjoy riding either one. Hope i have helped.

Old 05-30-2002 | 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the first hand info. It sounds about like I expected.
Let us know how it reacts to bolt on upgrades.

Old 05-30-2002 | 02:44 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey moose, your web page does not work.

Old 05-30-2002 | 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

OoOoOoOo... NOW who's website doesn't work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. LOL J/K.

I was going to reply to something that someone said but now I can't remember what I was going to say [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img].

Old 05-30-2002 | 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

OH yeah!!! Now I remember!

I raced a friend of mine on the highway and he was on a 400ex that was slightly bored (not sure what to), had a DMC pipe on it, jetted, and 22" Razr's (don't ask), and it's kinda ragged out. But anyways, we did a rolling start and I pulled away from him in every gear (as to be expected) but the EX could sort of hang for a little while through the first 3 gears. So like Binfordw said, all these quads will hang w/ each other a little right off the start, and if the Z's are that much faster than a EX, I don't see a Raptor pulling 5+ lengths on a Z in 300 ft. BUT I have never even seen a Z400, so I can't really say for sure. My guess is based on one of those, "by brothers friends sisters boyfriends friends brother said his quad could hang with a *&#@*." So all you Raptor owners, don't go blowing up in my face about it.

Old 05-30-2002 | 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yea my site is down.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] But so is all of Talkcity, I can't even get to my site manager![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
It happens every couple of months I think it's for matinence. It's still down less often than my old site on geocities was.

I should have known as soon as I tell yodaddy how much better talkcities was It'd bite me in the A$$!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I spent 2 hours putting up 5 new pages last nite & it goes down. Oh well what do you expect for free? Check back latter I got some very cool quads in there.

Old 05-30-2002 | 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

YoDaddy, your web site has exceeded you allowable download limit, those free hosts are crappy, but hey...their free.
graham

Quick Reply: Is the z400 faster then the raptor?