Old 06-14-2002, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little back yard fun. Check it out.

Flying Z400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

cool. what part of NV is that? isn't kinda hot already over there? btw, any bent axles? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2002, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

sweeeeeet!!!! do you mind if i use your photos for my website gallery?

Old 06-14-2002, 02:03 AM
Trailblazer

No problem on using the pics on your website, pretty cool. Im in Fallon, NV and yes its getting hot here. We are 80 miles east of Reno.
I have full riding gear but its tough to wear when the temps get hot here in the desert. Havent bent the axle yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] but it will happen. I have read on here that guys pushing 200lbs have there shock preloads set lite. That doesnt add up, Im every bit of 215 and bottom that sucker out almost every landing. As soon as I can afford it I will upgrade the suspension. What it has is outstanding, its just not set up for heavier guys. By the way, I havent messed with the preload on the rear yet, but the front is maxed and Im killing it. Either way, I love this machine!!! Will get more pics up soon.
Thanks for the compliments.
PD

Old 06-14-2002, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

Cool pics, Z400 is looking pretty damn tempting.
www.motoxes.com

Old 06-14-2002, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

If you bottoming out the Z all the time your either jumping really really high and by the looks of the pictures your not. Or your not jumping with enough speed. I don't even bottom out my Z on jumps that are way bigger than that and I'm 215 lbs. I don't even have my shocks adjusted yet, I might do that this weekend.

Old 06-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

bbertram,
Or your not jumping with enough speed. I don't even bottom out my Z on jumps that are way bigger than that and I'm 215 lbs. I don't even have my shocks adjusted yet

I dont understand how someone can jump faster and lessen the impact. That is what you meant right? My Z bottoms at speed going through whoops, jumps, and almost bottoms when slamming into steep berms at moderate speed. The suspension is great, but I ride very aggresively which results in mine bottoming. The impacts are hard and I absorb what the bike does not. So time to slow down until I upgrade to stiffer springs or better shocks.
PD

Old 06-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Its hard to explain, imagine this. A quad hits a jump slowly gets good air and lands, now that landing is going to be more of an up and down motion with little distance covered. But if you go faster the quad goes about the same height but goes much further. Allot of the impact is absorbed into other areas of the quad when you have more speed, instead all of the impact going to the rear shock.

Not all bottoming out issues are resolved with more speed thats for sure, but some are. Its just difficult to explain. Maybe some MX rider can come here and explain it, thats if they agree with me. I could be wrong but this has been my experience.

Maybe I can explain it like this. Imagine if you were a god and you took your big hand and picked up a quad 5 feet off the ground and dropped it. The quad is going to bottom out. Now if you were to throw it from 5 feet of the ground, making sure it landed on its wheels, it might not bottom out.

I think I'm just digging myself into a hole. Maybe knowsalot can help us.

Old 06-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

bbertram,
No biggie. Maybe the ground up there is softer?? Kidding.
PD

Old 06-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Range Rover

OK,
This is how I explain it from riding KX 250's.....

Simple...

Throw a rock straight up in the air over a pond, it just slams into the water; NOW take that same weight stone and through it high and outward with speed, it will most likly skip to a plunge [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Make any sense what so ever ????

LOBE
~~~~

Quick Reply: Z400 Action shots