Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson losing power

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting concerned about my Vinson. When I bought the quad about a month ago, the thing would fly. It would stretch your arms during acceleration. I was able to outrun my riding buddy's 2002 HO Sportsman acceleration and top end. It would top out at 63 on the speedo. After having it serviced, I can only pull 60 out of it. I am also accelerating neck and neck with my other buddy's 2000 500 Magnum (I blew his doors before the service).The 500 HO now blows my doors.The dealer say's they have no clue. Something is happening, any idea's? It has been well treated.It also seems to be getting slower.I have owned belt driven quads for 7 years now,I know how to treat the belt, so I don't believe it is that (unless it is a defective belt).

2002 Suzuki Vinson
1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 07-24-2002, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

mine seems to loose some power when its hot

Old 07-24-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe they adjusted the valves wrong? You would think that the thing would run better after a service not worse. If you have the ability you should check the valves yourself. Its seems kinda fishy that it would run good until after they serviced it.

Old 07-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just out of curiosity, I checked the price of the belt for a Vinson. $209.00!!!!!, can you believe that? The belt for my Polaris was $38.00. If it is the belt, it dang well better be replaced under warranty. The quad had 32 miles of test riding on it when I bought it, so I don't know how the belt was treated during that time. I usually do not buy one unless I see it put together, but it was the only yellow one they had. Hope it's not the belt.

Old 07-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

beck:

Not knowing what your dealer did at servicing time, I would take a look at your air filter. If they cleaned it, they may have re-oiled it to much. If the filter is saturated with oil, it will really restrict the air intake and you will end up losing power. Like the other fellow said, if they adjusted your valves, they may have screwed something up.

I ride at 5000 ft. on up, so there is no way our Vinson would do 60+. I envy you guys that ride at sea level. Also, what a heart stopper re the price of a belt. I thought the 650 Prairie belts were a hose job at $90. We better hope Gates or someone else comes out with an aftermarket belt. I just took my clutch cover off the other day to take a look at things. Nice and clean inside. The belt is comparable in size to the belt on my snowmobile. Hopefully, they will last for quite a while.

Hope you find your lost ponies!!

Old 07-25-2002, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

I already checked the filter. Just to be sure, I cleaned it and re-oiled it myself, but that wasn't it.I am suspecting valves. The thing also POOFS when I turn it off. May be a little off in the jetting.

2002 Suzuki Vinson
1999Polaris Magnum

Old 07-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

poofing is a sign of unpropper adjusted valves. when it gets time to adjust the valves on my raptor the thing poofs when i shut it off. Readjust them vavles and i bet itll run great again!! oh by the way how do you like your vinson other wise? how is it power wise to a griz or p650? The handling i heard is awsome on the vins.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

I have 2 riding buddies with the griz. They both run 27 inch tires, which hurts acceleration a little. With the 27 inch tires on theirs and mine running like it should, I can out accelerate them up to 40 mph. then it evens out until around 50, then they pull me with the griz a little faster on top end. With stock tires, they would outrun me, not by a lot, but they would. They are definitely a little faster on top end. They mud better due to the ground clearance. We hit the trails, and it is bye bye grizzly, due to the handling of the Vinson.I have only rode with one 650. He was running stock tires. It was both faster top end and quicker. I was surprised at how well the Vinson kept up though. It is definitely quick for a 500, and the top speed is impressive for a 500. Unfortunately, I have now lost some power and it isn't near as quick, and about 3 mph slower top end.

Old 07-26-2002, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

Any more advice before I take it to the shop Monday?

Old 07-26-2002, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

You said you have some buddies who ride grizzlies. I'm trying to decide between the vinson and grizzly, and I'm was wanting to know if the vinson is close in ride plushness.

Quick Reply: Vinson losing power