Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Cleaning a Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 06:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First - Don't brush the dirt off with a paper towel or anything else prior to hosing it down thoroughly and washing it as this will create more scratches by rubbing in the dry abrasive dirt.

Second - Even though everyone does it the Honda manual says specifically not to power wash as the high pressure will force water into places it normally wouldn't get even if you submarine it a lot like inside seals, electicals etc.

I just hose everthing off i can and then wash the rest with a sponge and car wash. Worry about the shine when you are going to sell it.

Old 08-15-2002, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

You can use a pressure washer if you are really careful around the suspension parts and stay away from any joints, zerks, and especially the chain. A pressure washer will destroy a chain by forcing water past the little o-rings. It works great on the fenders and stuff, just be real careful, and don't do it to often.

Old 08-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

If you really want your quad to shine , I find that " plastic renew " is some pretty amazing stuff. I made an old 84CR look like she just rolled off showroom floor .as long as you don't mind spending a little time doing it.

Old 08-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Simple green...i buy it by the Gallon in Home depot...i use two spray bottles and blast away after washing the thick stuff off with a garden hose. it's environment friendly as well

theres a track i ride at that uses a dirt mix which i swear is the same as concrete mix...i would wash and tried everything i could...as soon as it dried, this dirt film would keep coming back. simple green melts it all away WITHOUT rubing and scrubbing. spray and rinse.

i also coat it with Honda Brite (aresol) right before i go fo a ride...it helps prevent stuff sticking to the plastic.

regarding power washers...when used properly they are great. i use less than a 1/4 of the water i need when using a garden hose. My water is pumped from a well so that benefit alone is worth the risk. also as long as your standing from a distance you should'nt have a problem

Old 08-17-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

<< Beleive me I have tried just about everything [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have found that Grease Lightning diluted workd awesome. I spray off the heavy mud, and then spray everything with the Greased Lightning, and hose it again, it removes 99% of the mud and stains. It even works in hard to get spots where you can't reach.

LOBE
~~~~
>>

This works great, thank for the suggestion! Even my ProArmor is shinin' again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]