Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Trail Riders

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is for you guys that have Z400s.

How is the low-End on this thing? I would like to have alot of bottom-end without sacrificing to much Top-End? What did you guys do for tight trail riding?

How is it on long steep hills? (300ft+)
&
How good is it on smaller (but steep)rutted-out rooty & rocky hills? (65+ft)

Old 08-15-2002, 03:15 AM
Trailblazer

I think the low end thing is getting blown out of proportion (eventhough I posted it). It does have decent lowend. The only thing I noticed is the gearing in the transmission is wierd. I just have a hard time finding the right gear sometimes. All it takes is a little squeeze of the clutch. I think if I drop the front down a tooth I will be perfect. I think I am going to do it next week. I LOVE this quad. I have ridden almost everyday since I got it. I had a nice long ride tonight. The more I ride it the more I like it, if that is even possable. It does great on the smaller technical hills. I haven't had it on any really big ones, just because we don't have any nearby. It will climb the tight twisty ones with ease though. Man it is fun. I can wait to go again. Maybe I will go tomorrow. Sounds like a plan to me!

Old 08-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

I sold my raptor after I rode the Z400. It does not have the power of a raptor but it was so high geared it was easy to kill it on slow hills. I believe the z is a better trail Quad. I love my ZZZZZZZZ.

Old 08-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I've rode on long steep hills as well as steep rocky ones with no problems. Once broken in most of the touchyness goes away. I have regeared by 1 tooth on the front and I've modified my stock exhaust also. I usually climb in 2nd gear now on almost all hills and I can be rolling along at an idle in 2nd gear and open it wide open with no signs of chugging or loading up. It will pick the front end up and move. Be careful how low you go on gearing because with my 13 tooth front sprocket you have to sit forward on the seat to keep the front end down while riding technical trails fast if your in 2nd gear or 1st. It isn't a problem on loose material but on a sticky clay trail or dirt it will carry the front end every time you hit the throttle in 2nd.

Old 08-15-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

100% trailing for me. No problems with the lower end, just get use to the throttle after that not a problem. I've found this thing will go just about any place you dare to try.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

<< I've found this thing will go just about any place you dare to try. >>

ROGER THAT! I found myself in places I did not think it would go yesterday. I think it will climb anything there is in second gear. Keep in mind these are tight, steep, sandy trails. These are not point and shoot, you have to really work it to make it into the different chutes. After I regear it, I want to try them in third. I think I could slide more in 3rd and make some of the tighter switchbacks.

I also rode this thing through some DEEP mud yesterday and it made it no problem. It gets high centered and I think a set of 22s out back ought to help that.

I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

Old 08-15-2002, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Other quads I have rode in the past always had me jumping off and yanking on the grab bar or bumper to get them out of the $hit. This quad, on the exact same tails, on the 190 acers I ride goes right through. The center of gravity on the Z is sweet, even up the steep ones I haven't had to worry about jumping up on the tank yet to keep her down. Give her gas and let her shred the turf the way she does soooooooo good!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

The Z is awesome on tight technical trails, with steep hills. The raptor has tons of bottom end and is fast on the trails, but u can blow them away with a Z.

Old 08-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

PERFECT,PERFECT,PERFECT---I would not change a thing! My hat is off to Suzuki {and my money is in their pocket} on both the Ozark and Z-400. My Z has plenty of low end torque and is nearly perfect for tight trails. I was eating up 400exs on tight trails Sunday before my Z was even broken in. Please, this is no knock on Hondas, I love them too! I used to be guilty {and still am somewhat} of Honda worship, but these new 'Zukis have really shown me something. The Z is very refined, the power and speed kinda sneak up on you. Haven't done hills yet, not too many around here but tight trails are everywhere and the Z-400 shines there!

Old 08-15-2002, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Don't you just love the feel of a tight trail, as you whip the rear end around just missing the tree that popped up in front of you soooooo quickly??????? Hours of riding without any fatigue. NICE ~ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Z400 Trail Riders