Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

DirtWheels Shootout - Z400 vs Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If dirtwheels told me that North was toward Canada,,I'd get a compass[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< If dirtwheels told me that North was toward Canada,,I'd get a compass[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] >>

I understand and agree on the articles, but Dirtwheels does coincide with what the dealers and other magazines are saying as well. Peace out........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I don't believe that the z will ever be the yardstick in which to measure new quads by. What did they add to the Z that is better than the dale? Nothing, same old carb, same old shocks, same old frame, same old, same old. I do not fit the 5-10% expert class rider and I still bought one. Go spend the money on the Z, 1200 shocks, 500 exchaust, 350 Carb, 450 a-a-arms, 3500 aluminum frame, 350 holeshots, 1200 to make it a 440, 350 hydo clutch. The Dale is a better value.

So when you learn to ride, what are you going to do, with your beginers quad.

Not trying to start a flame war but think about these few items.

LT80,

I'm with you.

Smitty

Old 08-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

z =)

Old 08-18-2002, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

<< [i]I don't believe that the z will ever be the yardstick in which to measure new quads by. What did they add to the Z that is better than the dale? Nothing, same old carb, same old shocks, same old frame, same old, same old. I do not fit the 5-10% expert class rider and I still bought one. Go spend the money on the Z, 1200 shocks, 500 exchaust, 350 Carb, 450 a-a-arms, 3500 aluminum frame, 350 holeshots, 1200 to make it a 440, 350 hydo clutch. The Dale is a better value.

So when you learn to ride, what are you going to do, with your beginers quad.

Not trying to start a flame war but think about these few items.

I guess to each their own and own their eachs. If I had wanted a Dale, I would have bought a Dale. I doubt it would take the $7550 you have listed above to make a comparable quad to the Dale. Everyone I have talked to and everything I have read has said the Z is so close in comparison to the Dale that overall they have given their nod to the Z. Anyhow Dales around here are such a minor brand, I would had to drive 100+ miles for sales and service. Sorry I'm not going to do it.

Nice comment about &quot;So when you learn to ride, what are you going to do, with your beginers quad.&quot;

I would not rank the Z as a beginner's (with 2 n's by the way) quad. You would be ranking Raptors, 400EX and DS as beginners too. Don't let the Raptor dudes see you making statements like that, they'll have you for dinner.

Is it the fastest - no, but where I ride trails ~ woods, hills, fields, creeks, etc. all you might be seeing is a lot of my tail light. So to end this, the Dale is more than I would want or ever need. Meanwhile that yellow streak in the woods is I.

So when are you going to trade up to the moto440 @ $12k, now that's a real man's quad ~ LMAO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2002, 08:06 PM
WP
Pro Rider

It's taking a lot of time and money, but soon I will be asking the Dales when are they going to step-up and buy a Suzuki. I will admit the Dales are fast, but I will have a stronger motor and a better handling chassis.

Old 08-18-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Smitty's statement on value. I own a Z and it is certainly not a benchmark machine. The powerplant is good (not great)and the rest of the machine is typical of what most sport quads have to offer. The Dale is definitely a benckmark machine and we all know why. What you get for your money on the Dale is a better value in my opinion. I can get a brand new Cannibal for $5500 and a Speed for $6499.
My brother just installed a Graydon pipe and had the moto remap program performed on his cannibal. It absolutely blitzes my Z easily which is rejetted with a full Yoshi exhaust. I was amazed of the power gains he achieved. I can't wait to get his Dale on the track with the moto a-arms and quadruple rate Elkas he installed.

By the way if you're into straight line racing the Dale is the fastest four stroke production quad available.

Old 08-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

MSRP:
Cannibal $6995, $1296 more than a Z ~ $496 more than a Raptor.
Speed $7995, $2296 more than a Z ~ $1496 more than a Raptor.
Blaze 440 $10450, $4751 more than a Z ~ $3951 more than a Raptor.
Moto 440 $12450, $6765 more than a Z ~ $5951 more than a Raptor.

Again the whole comparison is what you get for your money. Dollar for dollar and quad to quad. The similarities are so close in comparison most everyone is saying to buy a Z or a Raptor and build it up the way you want it. Nothing against the Dales, but for most of us the practicability of owning one doesn't measure up to any possible benefits. So the majority of the public will stick with Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Bombardier or the Predator. Peace out.

BTW, this is great, I've picked up another 8 posts here for my profile ~ LMAO all the way through the woods... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Dollar for dollar a Cannondale is the best bargain. If you're paying MSRP for a Dale now, you're not comparing prices with other dealers.
There's plenty of dealers selling Cannibals for under $6000 and as cheap as $5499. That's $200 cheaper than my Z was. I had my Z on order for quite sometime and I was excited to get it. No dealer that I'm aware of was slashing prices on a newly released quad at the time. The Z is a great quad but not a benchmark by no means.
You're right the similarities are close in comparison but the Dale is the only manufacturer to offer an aluminum frame, fuel injection, and quality shocks as standard equipment.

Old 08-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

I am sick of the Cannondale and Z400 being compared. As well as the Raptor and Cannandale.

It's this easy, if your only going to race buy the Cannondale, if your going to ride for recreation your better off with a Z or Raptor. There are still people that think the 400EX is still the best quad out there. If you don't believe me go visit EX riders.

Perfect quad has not been released yet and never will be. Z400 is perfect for me, Raptor is perfect for someone else and so on and so on.

Just wait until (if) Honda releases their new quad. You think the Z is being hyped up by the mags. Honda is hyped up much higher, look at the recent Rincon tests.

Quick Reply: DirtWheels Shootout - Z400 vs Raptor