Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

DirtWheels Shootout - Z400 vs Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realy like the Z but it is not even close to the dale as a racer. The dif in purchase price? Juice clutch, fule injection, Tires ( you will have to swap the Z to more serious rubber), shocks, grip seat cover, removable lights, handel bar and grips +++. For a few more dollars on the showroom floor for the dale you would have to spend close to $5000 to get the Z up to the C-dale.
Now which would I buy? Pure raceing no question the C-dale but for general riding the Z has a well ballanced chassie great ergos and better parts avalibility and much less needed matanance that is why the Z won the shoot out.
I race about once every other month but I ride 3 to 4 times a week so the choice is easy for me the Z would fit my needs better.

Old 08-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

That is exactly my consensus! The Dale is not for everyone. The Z and the Dale are two completely different types of quads marketed at two completely different BUYERS…….. The Z is actually fun to ride (you don't have to work at it), and other than just dumping gas in it once and awhile, you’re set for all the weekend riding your @ss can handle. Peace out…………… [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2002, 12:44 AM
Range Rover

Guys I love people who have not ridden both of these quads making judgements. I own both and I ride both. There are things to like about each. But by no means is a stock Z ever going to beat a stock Dale. They are not comparable stock. The Z is nice and I like it for what it is a good quad, but it is not a benchmark. Someone made reference to exriders in this post. This post certainly sounds just like it.

Old 08-19-2002, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

The Cannondales are purpose built race machines. If your only concern is professional raceing, and you are not willing to build the Z into a racer with the money you save at initial purchase, then the quad for you is definitely the Dale.
I would guess 90% of the people considering the purchase of a new sport quad are looking for a multi purpose machine that will be used as a toy. It needs to be fast on the track, fast in the woods, fast in the dunes, easy to maintain, and fun to ride. Throw in a good price and you have the Z400. It also happens to be the only quad with all that going for it.
There is a lot more to this sport then "Which quad is slighty faster with a profesional rider at the controls?"
That is a benchmark for the industry to pay atention to, and they will.
I love American made, and I like the Cannondales a lot, but they are not the quad for me by any streatch of the imagination.
I have to laugh whenever I read these posts that rant and rave about the Z winning that shootout.
I still have not read the article but unless the title was "BEST RACING MX QUAD", the Z is the winner in my opinion, and most likely the majority of the buying publics opinion as well.

Old 08-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

Someone tell me why the Dale is only a race bike know. All I do is sand dune and I thought I had the perfect bike with my tricked out DS. One ride on the Cannondale thru the dunes changed my mind. I traded my DS the same day and lost huge money, but was the best thing I could have done. Just because it is light, awesome power, and great suspension that doesn't make it a one purpose quad.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

I agree jbomb.....I'd like to hear that too.

My Dale is EASIER TO RIDE FAST than my old 400ex. You DO NOT NEED TO BE A PRO RIDER TO GO FAST ON A CANNONDALE OR ENJOY RIDING ONE! Did everyone hear that????

Again....YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A PRO RIDER TO GO FAST ON A CANNONDALE OR ENJOY RIDING ONE!

I'm far from being a pro rider, and I can carve some pretty good laps on my Cannondale. Now is the Cannondale targeted towards a different "breed" of recreation riders.....yes. I'll break it down for you.

If you are a "weekend Warrior" at a local race organization, can't afford to own a "race quad" and a "trail quad", like to ride fast but want to still be able to putt around, don't mind the extra time(talking about a half an hour)to change your oil, want the most explosive quad in stock form, want a reliable "race breed" quad......then the Cannondale is for you.

If you just want a trail quad with reverse that you just dump gas in t and change the oil, then the Z or raptor is your soul partner.
Does either the Raptor or Z give you that same "eye watering, arm socket pulling power? No. But you would rather have a trail quad....

Old 08-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

NewZMan,

Glad to see facts don't cloud your judgement. You quoted the Dirt Wheels Article about it being the Yardstick. All I said was that it doesn't have anything special on it where the Cannondales do.

I don't race YET, but plan to. I ride mostly hardpack, rocky trails in SoCal. Got rid of the 400EX due to lack of power. Would have gotten a Z but it's just a 400EX water cooled with reverse. What yardstick is that. The C-Dale is able to be ridden harder due to the better STOCK shocks. If owning a Dale means you have to learn to use the clutch, oh well.

What dirt wheels is saying is "If you ride slow, the Z Wins, if you ride fast the Dale wins." I read the article, looked at the Z, bought the Dale.

As far as comparisions go:
Steel Frame = Alumin Frame
Carb = Fuel Injection
?? shocks = Ohlins
Ohtsu ??? tires = Holeshots
Steel bars = TAG
cable clutch = Hydro

Every one can say well it cost more that's why it won.

WP,

Glad you got your ride again can't wait to get mine back. LACR Sat.

Smitty

Old 08-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

The last time I checked my Raptor had more eye watering power than a Cannondale!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

<< The last time I checked my Raptor had more eye watering power than a Cannondale!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

Oh no, now you did it RaptorRyan, you've opened up a big ole' can of worms now. After all Raptors and Zs are only beginner quads (without training wheels of course). Hopefully I can learn to ride someday and graduate up to something I can spend an additional $5000 on, to run a little faster on...... LMFAO (again!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

NewZMan,

Your right! You've finally got it! Your on a beginners quad! I guess that's the best way to put it!

RaptorRyan,

I'm talking stock for stock....dumba$$. And with a 228cc disadvantage....That's pretty good for a Cannibal to crush a Raptor! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: DirtWheels Shootout - Z400 vs Raptor