Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Zillas hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was thinking about getting a new quad and I am really wanting a Quadzilla but I don't know how hard they are to start. Is kiccking it over hard and is getting it to actually fire up hard also? I have a Quadsport 230 and I need to either upgrade it a lot with suspension, a new cam, new piston bored maybe .020 over, or just get a Zilla or LT250. I don't know what to do, I love my Q'sport a lot and want to upgrade it as much as I can but I am finding myself in the quest for something with more power and suspension. That's where getting a Zilla or modifying mine comes in.

Old 08-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

I heard there is a trick to kicking them over. I read in a 4 wheel atv action magazine article that you have to jog the engine just past the compression stroke, then kick it over hard, but that was a modified quadzilla with high compression. I know that my 250 is easy, but I've never tried a 500.

My two cents

Old 08-18-2002, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Mine isnt hard to start and it hasnt ever had a top end job either. To start it I push the kick lever down all the way slowly and let it come up until the 3rd click and then give it 2 hard kicks and it fires up no probs.

Old 08-18-2002, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

What do some of you others out there think? Should I upgrade mine and have a one of a kind quad with the mod'd 230 or should I just go with something like a Zilla of LT250? BTW, thanks for the info about startng them guys.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I think you should just get a quadracer, because if you want more power, it already has much more stock! Also if you wanna do motor mods it is much cheaper to mod the two stroke engine with greater results. As for suspension, you get a better ride with more travel.
Thats my opinion.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

My Quadzilla is not hard to start. Pull the choke when cold, with a few slow kicks and boom it come to life with 1 - 2 kicks. But becareful,,,,, WEAR riding boots because it will bite back sometime and break you foot!

Old 08-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Mine's a little hard to start if it's not warmed up, but when you get the technique down, it's not too bad. But if you're a little scrawny thing, forget about it. It definitely needs the extra oomph to get it turned over. That could be due to mine being bored out a little too...

Old 08-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the responses guys. BTW, no I'm not scrawny. I'm about 5'9" and like 195-200 lbs. Most people would think I have outgrown my Q'sport but I haven't really and I still love it. But as I said earler, I want something bigger and with more power and suspension. I am gonna try like h*ll to get either a Zilla or a 250. I think will keep the Q'sport around though and get rid of my 98 Polaris Trail Boss 250. Any offers guys? It is a pretty good quad but after I mentioned all of the above it's just not for me.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Benedark,
Zilla's typically aren't hard to start.
There is some technique involved in starting any big bore rather than just stabbing the daylights out of the kick lever.

If you're relatively happy with the power of the 230, I would recommend a 250 over a 500.
the 250 will seem like a rocket ship in comparison, and a decent 500 will blow your mind! (500's are NOT for the faint of heart)
You will need a more agressive maintainence schedule in comparison to the 4-stroker with either selection as 2-strokes require more attention.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've had a Lt500 for 13 years and no matter how long it sits, it will start in 2 to 3 kicks. The best way to start is definetly to push past the compression stroke and kick the last 4 to six inches. Once you pass the compression stroke, the rest is easy. 500's also feel like the strongest four-stroke you've ever ridden. Unlike other two strokes, the 5oo's have gobs of low end power great for hill climbs. You don't have to rev it to make it happy. Short shifting it makes the best usable horsepower. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Zillas hard to start?