Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

zilla dragin

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering what type of drag setup you zilla owners had. If i was to run alcohol what all would I have to do besides converting carb to alky. Would i have to have better pistons besides the stock ones. Also on the 87 i have heard that the base gasket will some times blow at the back can you fix this and what all can running on a blown base gasket do to your motor will it hurt it and will it make you lose power

Old 08-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Guess I'm curious as to why you want to run alcohol if you're selling the beast to buy a banshee (Big mistake IMHO)

Yes, the base gasket is somewhat prone to failure. Tudor's performance sells a 'no blow' base gasket made from spring steel that works great for this little problem. (Wouldn't recommend thier copper 'no blow' head gasket however)
Running a blown base gasket WILL result in engine failure! This usually causes a lean condition even with major jetting changes can smoke a motor in short order!

Yes, a forged piston is more durable than a stock (cast) piston for higher performance engines.
There are many variables in making a strong alcohol motor including porting, matched pipe, and then the jetting issues... (Could make you pull your hair out in short order)
Jetting an alcohol motor can be very tedious, and can easily go up in smoke!
Not to mention that alcohol is very corrosive and doesn't suspend certain 2-stroke oils very well (Beware)

Probably not anything a novice wrench bender would want to tangle with.

Just my $.02

Old 08-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Alky is awesome. The added lowend is phenomenal. Alky is NOT corrosive. It does however absorb moisture (ever get the cottonmouth when you drink?), this moisture can cause slight surface rust on the bore and such. You must run gas through the engine at the end of the day to ensure the alky is out and you won't have a rusting problem. If you do go to alcohol, and your base gasket goes, you will fry your motor. Same thing goes for being wide open and running out of fuel. If ANY alky 2-stroke (and a lot of 4-strokes) leans out, it is done.

Addict is right on about the jetting, but it is easier if you have a good carb such as FTZ's.

Remember, an alky engine sucks twice as much fuel as a gas motor. Twice as much fuel means twice the ring wash, and twice as often ring replacement.

Klotz Benol mixes just fine with alky.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Not to start an argument or anything... but alcohol IS corrosive to certain parts (Mainly Carb parts)(Alum. needles mainly), along with the cylinder bore.
Alky, if you're flushing w/ gasoline after using alcohol.. this is probably why you aren't having any troubles with it. (Very wise on your part)

You're also right about the Klotz benol... but many of the others DON'T work...

Old 08-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Duneaddict, I also don't mean any disrespect when I say alcohol isn't corrosive. Even on the carb parts, it is the moisture that is drawn to it that causes corrosion. The alcohol itself really isn't harmful to anything but certain types of rubber gaskets/seals. All of the basic gaskets/seal in an atv will resist alky. Fuel pumps and lines usually must be made specifically to support use of alky. I have ran the same FCR for 3 years on the X and have seen no signs of corrosion, but I also take care of my engine by flushing it as mentioned.

Alcohol isn't for everyone, as was stated. However, if you want extra power, know what you are doing, don't mind the jetting hassles and flushing the system every time you ride, alky is great.

Addict I take it you aren't a huge fan of banshees, huh? I personally think they are poorly designed and built, but I like the looks and they are the fastest atvs you can find in my area. I am looking for a LT500 but I can't find one locally (last one I saw was 3 years ago and wasn't for sale). I have owned a couple of LT250's (85 and 87) but I didn't care for the suspension. I doubt any company ever again makes any bike as fast as the Zilla, so it would be so cool to own one.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Alky,

No, I'm not really a big fan of the Banshee. They can be modified to run pretty darn hard...
My biggest miff, is the fact that even though Yami has ignored what the other mfg's have done by stopping production of the HP 2-strokes, they haven't updated the darn thing since the J-arms went away in '87 (I think it was '87)
If technology would have kept rolling on for quads like they have for dirt bikes, the banshee might still be pretty impressive.. and they might have some 2-stroke competition.
Besides, everybody and their brother has one. My antiques always get attention.

The 500's are still out there, but they are getting harder to find. I'm looking for another one also, but I'm very picky. Most have been restored or tinkered on, or junked out. Look around on the web, I've found 2 or so in the past year that would have been worth buying... but they want big $$ for the good ones (Still cheaper than a new quad)
Unfortunately your probably right, I too doubt any company will ever make anything like the mighty 500 again.