Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z 400 or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002 | 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

By the way these guys are talking, the Z400 is the greatest thing since sliced bread....?????!???!??![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002 | 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

<< By the way these guys are talking, the Z400 is the greatest thing since sliced bread....?????!???!??![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] >>

That would be sliced bread with some PB&amp;J!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002 | 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

It IS a Suzuki forum so what do you expect [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But, to be fair. The Z will never match the Raptor is raw HP. As the old saying goes &quot;No replacement for displacement&quot;. I think the Raptor is a great quad and if I spent more than half my time at the dunes, I would think seriously about a Raptor.

Having said that, I think the Z is the most versatile.

MX

Old 09-04-2002 | 08:52 PM
Range Rover

<< By the way these guys are talking, the Z400 is the greatest thing since sliced bread....?????!???!??! >>

The Z400 is absolutely awesome, and I have no regrets about getting one. However, to be fair, if the Raptor handled better or if the Cannibal had reverse I would have spent the extra money on either.

Old 09-05-2002 | 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

I'm sure it is a great quad, although I have never ridden one. It looks good, and does pretty good against Raptors. It sure gives the EX a run for it's money. One thing is true...&quot;There is no replacement for displacement&quot;. After mods there is no way a Z could hang with a Raptor, or a DS for that matter.

Old 09-05-2002 | 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Actually I was just thinking that after mods there is no way a Raptor or DS will hang with a Z400 on MX and GNCC type racing which is what Suzuki probably had in mind with this quad anyway. On the race last Sunday that OLN covered the Four Stroke Tech Z400 got the hole shot but the rider was inable to ride with Duvall and the other top dogs in the pro production class. I did hear that there is a chance for Yokely to ride a Kawasaki backed version in the future. That Four Stroke Tech rider did finish 11th overall in that race and if the machine would have had Trew or Duvall on it I'm sure it would have been in the top 3. He has the power he proved that on that holeshot and all the way down the front stretch. But like mentioned above if the Cannondale would have had reverse I probably would have chose it instead. I don't race but I like the power as long as it has handling to go with it.

Old 09-05-2002 | 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

BajaDS-You better have 250 more cc's, because that huge Bomber has 100 lbs of dead, useless, weight on it!! What are those crazy Canadians thinking??? Even the Raptor which weighs 30 lbs more than the Z or EX has you beat by 70 lbs. Maybe you need to say that &quot;THE ONLY REPLACEMENT FOR DEAD WEIGHT IS DISPLACEMENT&quot;. And displacement itself causes aditional weight!

Old 09-05-2002 | 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

<< BajaDS-You better have 250 more cc's, because that huge Bomber has 100 lbs of dead, useless, weight on it!! What are those crazy Canadians thinking??? Even the Raptor which weighs 30 lbs more than the Z or EX has you beat by 70 lbs. Maybe you need to say that &quot;THE ONLY REPLACEMENT FOR DEAD WEIGHT IS DISPLACEMENT&quot;. And displacement itself causes aditional weight! >>

It's funny you say that, because I've never had a problem with all the &quot;DEAD WEIGHT&quot;. I ride in the sand, and have never had a Raptor or a Z400 (stock raptor or a piped one, never lost to a Z at all.....) for that matter beat me in a race. I ride with a guy that has a Raptor which is all stock, just as mine is, and my whole set-up (the bike and me) is about 130lbs. more than him, and I still have no problem beating him. The power of the Rotax makes up for the &quot;dead, useless weight.&quot;

&quot;What are those crazy Canadians thinking???&quot; Yes it is Canadian, but they actually did something right with this bike. I have no complaints about anything on it, the power, the suspension, the way you feel when you sit on it, and yes, even the weight has not been an issue for me.

The only thing I was saying about the &quot;Z&quot; is that it could never compare to the Raptor, or DS (in power) when modified, simple as that!

Old 09-05-2002 | 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

BajaDS-Hey, I'm just trying to have a little fun with this one. I'm on a desert race team (right now we are preping for a 24 hr race) that fields a DS. The DS is ok, but it is hardly what I would call remarkable (this motor is still stock though!!). Desert preped with full skid plates, Holeshot XCT's, desert tank, etc., the weight of the thing (500 lbs) is up there in the meduim size utility bike range. Guess that's what happens when someone from the frozen north trys to build a desert machine (I'm originally from Canada), aye.

My point was, that a light machine (and rider) doesn't need as much power to haul itself around, so displacement numbers are only meaningful in a very general sense.

Old 09-05-2002 | 05:13 PM
|
Range Rover

I love the hit of a DS 650 I just think it's too big not to have reverse will I have that same hit with a Z 400? Or will it be more of a 400EX hit. I was very disappointed with that bike, in fact my 240 Ported Blaster would outrun a 400EX so maybe that'll give you guys an idea of the hit I've become accustomed to, before the blaster I have a TRi Z 250 and that think was scary fast.

Quick Reply: z 400 or Raptor