Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z 400 or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002 | 01:04 PM
|
Range Rover

I am sure this has been posted several times in the past, but I am very curious to know others opinions. It is not my intentions to flame. I am an experienced rider who has owned many bikes most recently a 240 ported blaster that was stolen and I am now interested in one of the two bikes

Raptor or Z 400, I have eliminated others because of their lack of reverse which I deem to be absolutely necessary since I will mostly trail ride and hit the drag strip from time to time just for fun.

Please give me your opinions based on the above. Raptor or Z.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2002 | 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor is narrower (at minimum you are going to need a +4 rear axel and +2 front A-arms, so just add that right up front to the alredy higher purchase price!!). It also has a higher center of gravity, and weighs about 30 lbs more. On the other hand, the Raptor (stock for stock) has more HP. But, the Z is going to mod up real well, and be up there with the Raptor.

Old 09-03-2002 | 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

If your going to be doing a bunch of dragracing I would go with the Raptor. It responds to mods very well. However if trail riding is your main concern go ride them both and buy what fits you the best. I had rode friends Raptor a bunch in the woods and I chose the Z400 after riding it one time. So far I am very impressed with the Z. I don't like the back tires but the Raptor has the exact same tires. Other than that I don't have any problems with it. The more hours I get on mine the better it seems to run.

Old 09-03-2002 | 04:37 PM
|
Range Rover

Wow, I am really impressed with the response that I am getting. And this really helps. I like them both one, I've only ridden a raptor in soft dirt so far and I was very impressed despite the poor grip. I also had a chance to ride a DS 650 and love the way it responds but it feels too big for my taste. I want two stroke like hit with great handling, of course that means 250R but, I was hoping one of these bikes could fill the bill because I really don't want an old bike that needs work.

Old 09-03-2002 | 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Just go with the Z [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2002 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

With the Z your probably going to end up replacing the rear axle, since it is very weak. I have bent 2 already and I now have a Lonestar. The Z is fun on the trails and in the mud and water. The Raptor has more potential power than the Z. If you want to trail ride, the Z is better. If you want to hill climb the Raptor has the edge, but not much. If you want to drag the Raptor is better on the top end. If you want to have fun, get either bike! I'm not going to say get the Z, I'm giving you my un-biased opinion here. I have two wheeled my Z a few times with the stock axle, just like you can on the Raptor, so I don't really think its all that tippier than the Z. See what fits you best and if price falls into your decision then shop around and look for a used '02 Z or Raptor, you can get them both cheap used. Do not buy an 01' Raptor though, just a word of warning! On this forum someone has a Z for sale for $4750!! Cheap!

Old 09-03-2002 | 08:33 PM
Range Rover

I was in the same situation as U are now just before the new Zs came out. I was ready buy a new quad, my buddy had just gotton an 02 Raptor and I had been planning on getting one also. After riding his quad around a few times I was totally impressed and ready to buy a Raptor. The only thing I didnt care for was that I felt that the Raptors handling was lousy for a machine of that price. Finally the mags had alittle more info on the Z and I learned alot more about it on this forum and other atv sites. So I decided that it was for me so I got on a dealers waiting list. I am totally happy with my decsion, it is exactly what I was looking for......plus it likes to get more air than the Raptor.

Old 09-03-2002 | 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

My friend doesn't call his Raptor "Mr. Tippy" for nothing, but he has tons of experience on a trike, so he's got great balance.

Raptor will slaughter the Z in drags and at the dunes.

The Z is great for trails, I haven't tipped it or rolled it yet. I have rolled a 400ex though *sigh*. The Z has been very forgiving for my lack of experience.

I have no clue how people are bending their axles, I've had my tire hit a few trees, done some jumps, and gotten 4-5 feet of air at the dunes, my axle hasn't shown signs of bending yet *knock on wood*

Old 09-03-2002 | 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

go with the z,ive heared nothing but greatness.i have heared nothing of the mighty 400ex since the z came out.its all about the z.i know next spring i will be buying one.

Old 09-04-2002 | 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Go crack open a Z. This will be you in seconds ---> [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: z 400 or Raptor