Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT230 info and pro&cons

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,
My best friend got a Suzuki LT230 and I am looking information for her. Is anyone here is very knowledgeable about this bike? What are the pro and cons for this bike too? Is there anything that I should look for before riding it? She got it for free at the dump and right now we are fixing it up but it runs. I think I am not sure. But I would love to know more about this bike thank you very much!

Have a nice day!
Dusty

Old 09-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

First off, Which model is it?
The sport (kick start)
The Runner (electric start with pull rope back-up) (Chain drive)
They also made a 230 runner that was shaft driven.

Once we know this I'm sure I might be able to help an litte and so would others hear. But as of now we can't help much out knowing which model it is.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

It's the Quadsport LT230. Chain Drive. Head light on the handlebar. Sorry for not providing enougth information. I hope that you know what I am talking about now.
Thanks again
Dusty

Old 10-03-2002, 07:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my cousin has one of those, has had it for 2 years or so. the quad is great. its sporty, fun to ride in trails, and has no real problems, except a very slight thirst for oil. this only happens after a very long day of riding, and when we go to the hill and try to climb with it. it has decent power for the size. congrats on the free quad, and have fun

Old 10-03-2002, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Keep a very close eye on the swingarm bearings and also rear axle bearings. The swingarm bearings have a tendency to wear out prematurely, causing the quad to throw the drive chain and break the engine case. Very common on these, and suzuki put a service bulletin out about that. Also watch the oil level closely. If you keep an eye on that stuff, all should be ok. I can't think of any other issues with that quad. Have fun!

Old 10-04-2002, 04:07 AM
Trailblazer

axle bearings......
stock ones suck,,,,my buddy's went out without warning going down an old railroad track,,,,looked like the fourth of july...other than that,,,no problems Nailer....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2002, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Suzuki LT230 info and pro&cons

TRI-CITIES BABY!!!! hey maddog do know of good placs to ride around here.

Old 11-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

MAKE SURE TO CHECK IF THE CHAIN IS TIGHT AT ALL TIMES! my friends chain was pretty loose on it, he was riding, he kicked the bak end out, and the chain flew off and broke the case. about a week later he replaced the case, took it out riding, the chain was tight this time, but at the end of the day the chain was loose, and guess what happened.....it flew off and broke the case again. the cases cost about 90 bucks for everything, so it gets quite expansive after awhile. this haoppened to him about 7 times i believe, till he sold it abd got a 300ex. and check all bearings when you can too.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

I had an 89 250 sport. Check the chain slack often!!! also with the axle bearings check the top swing arm bearings often. I took mine to a machine shop and had a stainless swingarm bolt and stainless bushings made for that area. Put some zerk fittings in and lube them often and you should not have a problem. Also check the a-arm bearings they wear out fast too. Once the first set wears out, or before, put some zerk fittings in every one and keep them lubed. The chain adjustment things also tend to break allot but they are an easy fix just watch tightening them you shouldn't have any troubles. For the cases that you will break JB weld is a quick fix. If you have someone who knows what they are doing, get a good case saver made that slips over the sprocket shaft that still bolts to the cases that way it will save you're case. Hope this helps and good luck the 230 sport was a great quad and lots of fun.

Old 11-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys,
I want to thank you so much for helping me out! I am learning about his bike more! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Keep it going guys!
I will be aware about the chain issues! Thanks again!

Happy Riding,
Dusty!

Quick Reply: Suzuki LT230 info and pro&cons