Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

hurculiner on frame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of using hurculiner truck bed liner on my 88lt250r frame this time around. has anyone tried using this? is it strong? i figure if it gets scraped up a little i could just dab more on.

Old 10-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Once it all dried and cured then it will be tough. But then if you hit something hard enough it will crack it and it will start to chip away. So, I don't what kind of riding you do, if you don't plan on hitting anything soon, then go for it. Can you get that stuff in different colors?

Old 10-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

the colors are grey and black

Old 10-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

You should use "rubberized undercoating" it wont flake off, and it's a lot cheaper.
You can get it in a spray can from any auto supply store.

Old 10-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have actually been kicking the idea around, using Rhino-liner. You can get it in many different colors and the stuff is durable as well. I would think it would damn near last for ever. I dunno, just a thought.

Old 10-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hurculiner on frame?

I use Herculiner on my rack,works great,keeps things quiet,and grips the gas cans better. Don't think it would be a good idea for a frame,the little bits of rubber in it make for a very rough surface,would hold a lot of dirt. Rhino liner can be sprayed thinner,and is smoother,depending where you find it,could be affordable,but for what they charge for trucks, you might be better off with powder coating. Just my opinion.

Old 10-09-2002, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

You can now purchase an off brand bed liner in spray cans at Autozone and Advance auto parts. It comes in either black or white. I asked if they have any other colors and they said they could possibly order some. My father and I used this stuff to cover the inside of the cab , door jams , and bumpers of a 4x4 S-15 that he is rebuilding from the ground up. After it set up you could take a screwdriver and scrape across it and it would barely leave a mark. If I still have my TBoss this winter I am going to do my frame.

Also a guy I work with sprayed his rocker panels and step bars on his jeep with it about 3 months ago and it has not chipped or flaked off yet. He drives it about 4-5 miles on gravel roads a day.

Old 10-09-2002, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

also it is only about $ 6.50 a can and a can will cover a whole tailgate with a good coating.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the ideas guys.
i bought a can of duraliner for $26.00 at Kmart...but i think i will look into that rhino liner. i can always bring that can back. i thought about it holding dirt but i figured if i sponged it on lightly for that slight bumpy look it wouldnt be to bad?

Old 10-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys,

I just wanted to drop a note about the aerosol spray-in bedliners such as the Duplicolor brand and the various auto parts store brands. Most of these products are SIMULATED truck bedliner PAINTS. Yes, that's right. Paint. Textured paint, anyway.

I had planned on doing the bed of my Toyota with either the Duplicolor (available at Walmart, etc...) or the Herculiner (Kmart, etc...) since it was cheaper (than a professional job) and I could do it myself. When I read the fine print on the back of the Duplicolor, I noticed it said "...simulates the look and feel of a custom spray-in truck bedliner...", so I got suspicious and called Duplicolor.

The Duplicolor representative with whom I spoke told me herself that the Duplicolor Bedliner will NOT stand up to heavy use. It will withstand some light use, but its main purpose is to LOOK LIKE a real spray-in bedliner. After more investigating, I found that users of the Herculiner product were not completely satisfied with it either.

With that said, I must also say that these products are not useless. It's just that they are not nearly as rugged as the Rhino-type products. But they are good if used properly and in the manner for which they were designed.

Personally, I have used the Duplicolor products to coat some of my deer hunting treestands (climbers) and it has held up well to that use. It made them quieter and provided a rugged, weatherproof surface. I also sprayed a small portion of it on the tailgate of an old truck I had to see how it would stand up to abuse. It did adhere very well to the surface and it was much more durable than regular paint, but it was not as durable as the real spray in bedliners I've seen in other trucks. If used in the cab of a truck or in locations where there will not be a lot of heavy abuse (heavy items dropped or dragged across the surface), it will hold up well. The key is in the prep work.

Follow the prepping instructions on the product EXACTLY and the product should hold up well under the right conditions. Scuff unblemished paint surfaces and remove any loose material from other rough surfaces first. Then clean the surface area very well with a solvent (mineral spirits, acetone, lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol) before applying the truck bedliner.

All in all, I would think that it should do fine on the quad frame, so long as the prep work is done well and it's not applied in a location that sees a lot of wear. However, should any particular location see a lot of wear, those spots are easy and inexpensively "touched up" with some fresh Herculiner material. It may not be as durable as a real spray-in bedliner, but it is more durable than most any other kind of paint you can spray on that frame.

Quick Reply: hurculiner on frame?