Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need zilla help fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need zilla help fast

I am installing the shift shaft and i am trying to get the spirng installed correctly onto the shaft. Any pointers to exactly how it goes on there. I can get it on there but it does not seem to be right because the shifter will not return back to the center position. Any ideas of what i am doing wrong here. The manual does not seem to show this very well Thanks Jeremy

Old 10-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

The spring and white nylon bushing go on the shaft before the shaft goes in the engine. Slide the spring on the shaft so that the 2 spring ends face away from the engine and OVER the square **** which is on the inside of the flat gear part. You must have a spring end on each side of this ****. When installing the shaft in the engine, make sure that these 2 spring ends fit on either side of the round pin that is bolted in the case behind the shaft once it's installed. This round pin is directly to the left of the gear selector.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

I have installed the spring like this. The spring then rests on the round pin and then the spring ends no longer even touch the square **** on the shaft is this normal or is the spring bent? Thanks

Old 10-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

The spring should touch both sides of the round pin at the same time. If it does not, you have a weak spring! The 2 spring ends should be perfectly parrallel to one another. If they are not you must change the spring. If everything is correct you should not easily be able to rotate the shaft do to the sping holding it in place. This spring returns your shifting lever back to original position after you shift. You should not be able to see the square **** once installed.

Old 10-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I believe i need a new spring due to the fact that the springs ends are not parrallel when it is on the round pin. What i was talking about was that the pins did not even touch the the square on the shaft at all when installed onto the round pin. Does it normally? Also where do you suggest to order it from to get the quickest service. I ussually order from YSA but they are sometimes slow and i need my bike running by friday. Thanks

Old 10-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think I know what you're doing wrong. When you first put the spring on the shaft you need a pair of pliers or vise grips to open the spring enough to slide over the square ****...at this point the spring is very tight on the shaft and over the square ****. Once installed in the engine it's tight on the square **** and on the round shaft at the same time!

Old 10-20-2002, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

A weak spring will be wider near the end do to frequent shiftting. I can't suggest any place to order cuz I'm in northern Canada.

Old 10-20-2002, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Yep thats what i did i installed it onto the square with pliers and then slid it into the motor once in the motor i put the spring ends on the round pin. At this point it is tight on the pin but not on the square **** and the ends of the spring are not parrellel so i am pretty sure that my spring ends are bent. Thanks

Old 10-20-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Did your spring suffer some damage? A weak spring will always be wide at the end! Are you using the original nylon bushing?

Old 10-20-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Your nylon bushing could be worn down. I've never seen a spring tight near the end. I'm not calling you a liar or anything it's just unusual that's all.

Quick Reply: need zilla help fast