Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Throttle cable ? on LT500R

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002 | 01:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Throttle cable ? on LT500R

Over the weekend I upgraded my stock carb on my Zilla to the Keihen Pro 41mm and now my throttle cable is too short. Are there extended throttle cables available? I figured all carbs would be designed to use the same amount of inside cable length from a throttle cable.

Old 11-05-2002 | 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Great upgrade! You'll love the throttle response.... that carb will really let the beast breathe..

Not sure if anybody makes a custom cable for this setup.. (I couldn't find one)

You can cut down the housing on your existing cable and make it work great... Just don't nick the actual cable fibers when doing this. If I remember right... I cut off about 1-1/4" off my housing using electrical side cutters... you could also use a dremel tool to cut the spiral steel housing... just be careful not to hit the actual cable.... It's not too hard.

Best of luck

Old 11-05-2002 | 02:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Duneaddict, What mods do you have and what size main jet did you start out with?

Old 11-05-2002 | 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Try Phils ATV's in El Reno, Ok. He sells those carbs and a cable to fit the Zilla.

Old 11-05-2002 | 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

i did the same thing on mine . i called terry cable and they custom made me a cable . i have an extra one . i think the cable it self needed to be 3/8 longer to open the carb all the way . the cool thing is the cable is steel braided and it was only $24 for two cables . Don

Old 11-06-2002 | 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Butcher: It's pretty tough to find anything on my Zill that hasn't been modified. Porting, .060 overbore, Custom milled dome/coolhead, v-force reeds, 41pwk, open K&N, homemade drag pipe, with alternate LRD adjustable comming next season.
The old girl really rips.. Keep in mind that my jetting will be significantly different than yours due to air density.
Dallas is humid and warm (Can't remember elevation) and Northern Colorado is Dry and cool and around 7,000 feet above sea level.
I keep a journal for jetting for the different conditions and locations (Makes jetting easier as I travel around)
IF I remember correctly, I started with a 165 for the main Jet. I would probably start around 180 at your elevation and watch your piston wash and plug. (Depending on your mods)
Keep in mind that you should use caution until you get it dialed in.

Hope this helps

Old 11-06-2002 | 03:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Duneaddict, I was going to start with a 175 since I have all the same mods you listed except I run a Paul Turner pipe and a pyramid reed valve and reeds. I really can't wait to see what she will do since I really lacked top end before just because I couldn't get enough air so the additional 3mm should really help! Any other tuning tips to know for this carb?

Also, thanks donzilla for the information on the Terry cable. I ordered new stainless throttle and clutch cables. Said they would send in 3-4 days!

Old 11-06-2002 | 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

no problem glad i could help . ive got a real mean and nasty 500 . i had lrd do mine . ive got the adj pipe cool head , 41 pwk full out port job lonestar swing arm custom axis all the way around . it flat out s@#$'s and gets . we go to little sahara , in oklahoma , some guy had a trinity 727 raptor out there in hog heaven until it meet the zilla . he said he had over $18,000 in the quad but it just wasn't enough to take the zilla . have a nice day !!

Old 11-07-2002 | 12:14 AM
Range Rover

Here in WA state I run a 175 main in my LRD LT500 Zilla

Old 11-08-2002 | 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

donzilla, What's your opinion on the LRD adjustable pipe??? Vast improvement over 'the others'??
I've been picking on "the Tick" to find out how well he likes it on his machine. Just looking for another opinion or two before I invest.
Still don't like cutting my fender, but nobody else (Not sure about Trinity's drag pipe) builds a true Mid/Top pipe for the mighty 500.

I would have LOVED to see you whip the snot out of that Trinity Raptor!! Takes alot of $$$$ to make a 4 stroke fast, Evidently not faster than the 'ol Zill. Makes me smile all the way to the bank!

Butcher, you'll definately pick up some top end with the larger carb. I'm still thinking there's more to be had in the pipe selection. I think your Paul Turner setup is better than the FMF that's still on my machine currently, but it's still not claimed to be a Mid/Top pipe. (They won't give out the RPM / peak HP ranges)
The LRD looks to be the answer... and depending on what you are doing with the monster, a 44mm carb gives even a freckle more on Top. I have one that I run for sand drags, but I lost some throttle response for all around play riding.

Jeez, it's hell to be addicted to Horsepower and Sand!!!

Quick Reply: Throttle cable ? on LT500R