Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Ozark, can it do sand

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ozark, can it do sand

I am planning on getting a quad for my wife and the question I have is as follows, she likes the looks and utility of the Ozark, my concern is will it be able to go through the dunes. What she wants is a quad with no clutch, 4 stroke, push button start, and she wants to have racks on it, if it doesn't have racks I can always fabricate some. She will mainly use it for trail riding through the woods, but we do got to Sand Mountain, NV and to Pismo, I would just hate to get out there and she couldn't ride in the sand because of a weak motor.

Any info would be much appreciated, especially from owners of the Ozark[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

If you keep a little momentoum up the Ozark will do sand just fine. I wieght 200 lbs. and it can handle anything I ask it to do. It will make your wife a great bike she will love for years

Old 11-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like the 500 scrambler would be perfect for her

Old 11-18-2002, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the response Hoppy, have you done any mods to your Ozark and do you use
paddles, if so what size and type

Old 11-19-2002, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

i have a recon that my girlfriend rides that is pretty similar to a ozark and I rode it a bit last time I was at sand mountain

well it doesnt even come close to making it up the face but its a lot of fun riding around the back side, I was able to get up parts of the backside of the mountain and look down into the bowl

on that small of a 4 stroke I wouldnt bother getting paddles it will probably slow it down. just let the air down to 1-2 psi and you will have a great time

Old 11-19-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

I would say that it would do fine in sand. We have taken our Ozark pretty much everywhere and my son has won a lot of atv rodeo's with it. It is has more power than the other 4 stroke 250 Utility quads and is also a little larger so that it actually fit's an adult rider. My wife is 5'6" and weighs about 130 and the Ozark is perfect for her. We have installed a Pro Circuit pipe and will be installing a cam real soon. I can tell you that with my son riding it he can outrun the neighbors stock Warrior by about 10 inches or so all the way up till the Warrior hits high gear. The Ozark or at least ours with my son on it tops out at 53 mph on our GPS. It may hit 54 or 55 if the cam increases the rpm range. It has also hauled my 240 pound rearend very well in the deer woods even with a deer dragging behind it. My only complaint is the shifting is kind of sticky but it is getting better with more hours. Hey Hoppy I'm originally from Dexter mo. My folks still live there.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had the wifes 93' LT230 to Glamis 2 times now. I feel the ozark is pretty much the same.The 230 did very well! Even made it up Oldsmobile hill!!!
Here is what i could advise you:: DON'T get paddles! paddles need big HP. I purposely left dang near BALD tires on it,and it did fine. Remember that you need to spin the tires...My reasoning on that::I watched this 400ex w/paddles go 1/2 way up Patton hill,could NOT go farther.He went back to camp and put the stock tires on,then was able to make it up the hill..OF COURCE we ragged on him cuz he has a lame CT motor,,but we knew it was the tires <EG>
HAVE FUN!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2002, 04:13 PM
Range Rover

thanks everyone for the info, gonna get her the Ozark and myself the Z400 a week before xmas, then gonna
break them in at Pismo for the holidays, I plan on putting on the Kenda Gecko sand paddles on my Z400, that
is unless someone can recommend another paddle. We have Sand Skate 2 on the banshee's and they work
ok but I really like the look and design on the Gecko's. If anyone is heading to Pismo for New Years drop me
a line and maybe we can hook up, the more the merrier, I should have at least a dozen or so friends and family
going with everything from motocross bikes to quads to sand rails.

Old 11-19-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Cut the peashooter out of the Z400, pull the airbox lid and rejet. It makes a huge difference. The Z is choked down quite a bit. It will also perform a bunch better after it is fully broken in.

Old 11-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

my plans for the Z400 are pipe, jetting, K&N filter, for now, after the warranty expires I will have Trinity
do the 440 build to it. what pipe do you recommend for the Z400, I was thinking of going with Trinity's pipe

Quick Reply: Ozark, can it do sand