Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

douglas wheels suck

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default douglas wheels suck

Originally posted by: tom18801
i just put dunlop radial tires on the front of my lt and i have 2 different douglas wheels on it a 190 and a 160 and the 160 (aluminum) was up first and it took no time at all before i put the tire iron through it and i was shocked i mean **** these are artermarckmet so on to the 190 and i didnt put a hole through that but it did get turned into an egg so buy ITP only or stock im not advirtising for itp i just think douglas are weak and expensive!!
huh?

Old 11-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 400x
Sorry, but NO WAY are stock steel rims anywhere near as good as 190 aluminum. . I don't understand where you are coming from with that.
I come from planet earth where aftermarket may be lighter but stock wheels are TONS stronger. no doubt about it. Anyone that thinks different must ride sand or be an idiot.

Old 11-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Originally posted by: warrior007
Originally posted by: 400x
Sorry, but NO WAY are stock steel rims anywhere near as good as 190 aluminum. . I don't understand where you are coming from with that.
I come from planet earth where aftermarket may be lighter but stock wheels are TONS stronger. no doubt about it. Anyone that thinks different must ride sand or be an idiot.
Did you not read my post? Certainly you do not think that those crappy stock Polaris steel wheels are better than 190 Douglas aluminum rims. I don't give a crap what planet you are from. I've put 2000 miles on my Scrambler in the seven months I've had it. I had two large dings in the STOCK STEEL RIMS after 100 miles in the sandy trails of Michigan. The other nineteen hundred were put on in Tennessee. VERY rocky terrain. 50-60 mph up trails full of football and larger sized rocks. NOT ONE DING.

Do the math.

Old 11-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

just some thoughts...not meant to get you all fired up...I bend all my rims on the ground entering corners harder than I ought and hitting rocks that I should miss all together...This is my experience and I'm offering it to you as help...I am unfamiliar with stock polaris rims, however Yam, Hon etc all have very well built stock wheels...are you concerned about weight or strength? From what it sounds like you can't make either work...

BRAAAP

Old 11-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

No, what I said is that the 190's have worked very very well. I'm not sure how it is with other brands. Maybe that is the case there. In my case, there was no comparison whatsoever between the stocks and the 190's.

I wasn't getting fired up. Don't particularly care to be called an idiot by someone who is wrong. If you are going to make blanket statements or you're going to turn this into some sort of name calling excersise...at least be right.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Trust me, ITP .190's aren't any better. Most every Cannondale owner can tell you that. Most of the Cannondale owners are racers too though so just about every one of us have bent the **** out of the stock ITP's. My rear Douglas .190's have held up much better than the ITP's but either way, rolled edge is the way to go. These flat edge wheels suck no matter what kind they are.

Old 11-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I never called you an idiot....you idiot...I went and saw a gypsie friend of mine and had her put a hex on your rims...any rim you ever bend from now on is because of this hex think of me fondly next time...

try rolling your quad around on your thick round skull, I'm sure it's way to thick to bend

BRRRAAAAWAWAWAWA

Old 11-23-2002, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RAPTORJAY
I never called you an idiot....you idiot...I went and saw a gypsie friend of mine and had her put a hex on your rims...any rim you ever bend from now on is because of this hex think of me fondly next time...

try rolling your quad around on your thick round skull, I'm sure it's way to thick to bend

BRRRAAAAWAWAWAWA

Thanks for the nice reply mr raptor. Actually, I wasn't referring to your post.

Perhaps someday I can ding my rims on my new Predator as I drive over your piece of junk.

Actually, this is kind of fun. Keep em coming.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll put my douglas w/outer bead-locks and inner re-enforcing rings up against any stock rim
If people would just buck up with the bucks the first time,they could be like me and enjoy years of trouble free wheels (mine are 6 years old) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2002, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

The ITP wheels on the Cannondales are .160 and they are weak as hell. A standard .190 from ITP is about 19% thicker, and I would assume stronger by about the same percentage, give or take. The only 2 ways I know of to make a wheel significantly stronger is by rolling the lip, or better yet, adding a reinforcing ring. Anyway, I've had both brands and I have to say that among similarly priced wheels from either company they are both about the same. If you really believe that the rims were out of true when you got them you should complain to douglas. As far as the tire iron thing I probably wouldn't mention that one to douglas- it won't help your case.

Quick Reply: douglas wheels suck