Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'03 Eiger or '02 Kodiak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Eiger or '02 Kodiak?

Considering buying one of these two machines (if I can find a new 02 still) and was interested in some qualitative 'feel' issues. I'm mostly interested in using the machine for grouse hunting and will be slowly driving logging roads, skidder trails and other hardpack with the occasional fun ride through some light mud/snow. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience riding both machines of their opinions on noise and vibration. Is the liquid cooled Yamah quieter than the air cooled Suzuki? Does either of them have better vibration isolation than the other (footpegs, handlebars, rack or bracket vibration & noise)? I would like the machine to be as quiet as possible and whether or not there are any large differences between them. I'm mostly looking at the 02 Kodiak because it is roughly the same price and has the high/low range (will pull a trailer with wood occasionally) like the Eiger.

Also has anyone ridden a 5 speed Eiger with the full footboards and how effective are they for keeping your feet dry running through shallow puddles at low speed? Also, is it easy to shift the 5 speed wearing heavy hunting boots? At this time I'm leaning towards an automatic but would consider a 5 speed if it were not difficult to shift with warm hunting type boots. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 12-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

I have a 03 Eiger 5 speed 4x4. I bought my for the same reasons that you have listed. I do not have any experiance with a Kodiak. At the time that I purchased my machine I had it narrowed down to the Eiger or the Prarie 360. The Kodiak was out of my price range so it was cut from my list. The vibration on the eiger is almost non existant. The sound seems to be about the same as all of the other stock utility quads that I have ridden or been around. You can buy an after market silencer pipe although to make it even quieter. I do prefer liquid cooling for all around work and play but have yet to hear or experiance any problems with suzuki air cooled engines. I wear LaCrosse Iceman boots which are very thick and I had no problem shifting my eiger. (although the feel and speed of the shifts were not the same) My eiger impresses my each time I'm on it. It has done everything I have asked of it and came back for more.

03 Suzuki Eiger 5 speed 4x4

Old 12-09-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey freak,I own a 2k Kodiak and it has been a very good machine.There is a guy in our group that has an auto Eiger which I rode and it seems nice also.I do think the Kodiak is more sporty in it's handling.In a drag race mine will pull it but I can't speak for the 5 speed.If you are going to work it in the summer months I would lean towards the kodiak simply because it's water cooled.There is no question a water cooled engine lasts longer and the power stays stable in the heat.I don't think you could go wrong with either one..........oh one other thing........the park postion is really nice on the Yamahas.
2000 kodiak

Old 12-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

i own a 02 eiger 5 spd 4x4 and i love it...i bought it brand new in june and have had no problem whatsoever...i made a mistake the 3rd day i had it and hit a big boulder and bent 2 control arms, was quoted 2600 from the place i bought it from for a new frame 2 control arms and labor...i was like ok lets dont go that route! so a friend of mine who owns a hot rod shop and works on atv's straightened it all out and got it all back to spec for 600 bucks...ALOT BETTER!!! since then like the other guys said it makes me happier every time i ride it...i abuse mine quite a bit and it has taken everything ive put it through...hard jumps, fast trail riding, rough climbing, alot of mud etc...it hasnt let me down yet! the motor is quite torquey and the power is there on demand...very surprising for a 400 utility atv...dad has a 95 king quad 250 and im used to it but the eiger is alot better in my eyes...anyway thats my .02!

Old 12-10-2002, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

I have the 5 speed Eiger. Well pleased with it. I too, ride the log skidder roads and it does just fine. Unlike many folks, I prefer air cooled. Just that much less to go wrong. Several friends have water cooled machines of different makes and right now one of the Artic Cats has been down for a cooling problem. I never had a problem with vibration through handle bars or foot platform.

Old 12-10-2002, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 Kodiak that we use everyday on our farm. Its had a heck of a lot of hours without much maintenance. I can't say anything bad about that machine. It has a very plush suspension compared to other similar machines. Usually after a couple of years on our farm most ATVs look and run like a trash can with wheels. But I think the Kodiak has held up extremely well, and I've never had a major problem with it, which is pretty impressive considering I pull trailors that are meant to be pulled with tractors.

Old 12-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your replies. Eigerholic - your boot comments are appreciated and have piqued my interest. I'll head down to the dealer this weekend to try to see the 5 speed. I can't see how they can have full floorboards with the shifter so I'd like to check it out. I used an automatic Polaris for the first time hunting this year and was really impressed with the automatic tranny and full floorboards. Not so much the Polaris, but the idea of the automatic and the fact that you can stretch out a little more on the floorboard without being constrained by foot pegs. The full floorboards are a must as getting wet when its freezing out is not an option when hunting which up until now had ruled out any of the shifters. I'm not crazy about the Honda push button shift either - just one more thing to fail. The air cooled Suzuki appeals to me from a keep it simple standpoint also. The Prarie appears to be more of a work quad being larger and heavier than the Eiger or Kodiak so I ruled that one out as well. Looks like I can't go wrong with either one so it will come down to price and features. The 2002 Kodiak is the closest comparison to the Eiger with the dual range tranny so I'll start there. Are there any ride/handling issues to be aware of with either machine? For my use, I'd rather have one that rode softly and was oriented more towards recreation instead of work. Are these machines set up more for one type of use than the other? Thanks

Old 12-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

The only thing I have to say that is negative about the Eiger is that it seems to be a bit cold natured. Takes a few minuets for it to warm up. I have heard this about other Eigers so it must not be much of a problem. Give a little choke and a couple of minuets and it is ready to go. As to the power, it is all I need to pleasure ride and pull light loads. It has a very plush ride (bumps and such) which is one reason I bought it. I rode several other atv brands and was most satisfied with this one. Had back surgery 12 years ago so I have to watch it. The floorboards don't bother me with light hunting boots and I can shift just fine. Oh, one other minor thing... there is only one light on the dash to let you know what gear you are in and that will be neutral. Wish it had a light for each gear. You learn to get around the lack of gear lights after you learn the sound of the motor.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

I would recommend the Eiger its a great machine, the Kodiak is also a good machine also. I havent never had a problem cranking in the cold, first hit of the start button it fires right up, give it a little gas and it will usually stay cranked but every once in a while i will use choke. Havent had any problems with it yet! Went riding with 3 other friends couple of nights ago through the power lines by our house and had water over my headlights!! It was kinda scary!

Old 12-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

i forgot to mention that my eiger does seem to be a little cold natured also...i thought it was only me! but yes when its cold it takes a little to get it up and going but it doesnt bother me at all, the rest of the quad makes up for that!

Quick Reply: '03 Eiger or '02 Kodiak?