Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

250R keeps dropping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R keeps dropping out of gear

I have an '85 250R and it has always been hard to find neutral and ocasonaly would drop out of gear. After i had some engine work done on it ( Bored and machined head) it always drops out of gear. usually in the higher gears not 2nd and 1st.

I dont know whats wrong with it my clutch still looks good. I have been told i could be missing a Detent or the internal spring that connects to the neutral stopper. Or because of the mods could my clutch springs be too weak.

Any info is apreciated. thank you for your time.

matt

Old 12-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your problem sounds like it is in the transmission itself. Does it do it in certain gears only? You replied to a question I had concerning shift fork thickness and clearances. This could be part of your problem, the forks could have excessive play and not engaging the dogs on the gears completely. I would yank the motor apart, it is a simple process and check your gears and forks. That is where I am sure your problem is. The problem with it dropping out of gear all the time after you had it rebuilt, may be because of new found power. This is a long shot but maybe viable. With more horsepower, it will put more of a load on all the internal components of your motor, now if you have some problems to start with, the new power may cause it to show up more. Your clutch would only cause shifting problems like, slippage or not being able to engage a gear. You can try adjusting the clutch a little tighter (less hand movement) to make it shift easier, but I don't think that is it. You may even have a bent shift rod, it exits the left side of your motor, where the shift lever is, and extends all the way to the other side of the engine. Check this and the tranny out, you will fix your problem. Later

Old 12-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot. I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

matt