Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eliminate Rev Limiter on Suzuki z400

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eliminate Rev Limiter on Suzuki z400

The rev limiter on my z400 is driving me crazy. I have basically a stage 1 kit. Pipe, Carb jetting, K&N air filter. I don't give a crap why the rev limiter is on the bike. I want it gone and I don't want to pay 400.00 for an Electronic Ignition that only gives me an extra 1500 rpm. I want the rev limiter gone, period. If the engine blows so what! It'll give me a reason to get a stage 4 kit and bore it out to 520cc. How can I get ride of the rev elimiter???????????????

Old 01-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

LT-Z400 reverse rev limiter disabler.
You can do this which will have all indicator lights working and the rev limiter set to 9000 for all gears and neutral, just like the factory setup.
All changes will be made to the CDI connector.
The pins on the connectors come out easy. Just unplug it from the CDI unit and as you look into the connector with the lock on the top, take a small screw driver and slide it in just above the pin you want to remove then pull on the wire.
1)Disconnect the black wire with the red trace and the blue wire with the black trace and put a piece of shrink tubing over each one of them and put a dab of silicone in the hole the wires came out of.
2)Pull out the black wire with the brown trace and the black wire with the white trace. Keep track of the hole they came out of. Make a small jumper wire (approx. 28 ga.) about 2" long, slide it under the rubber seal on the black/brown wire connector pin and solder it to the pin. Do the same with the other end of the jumper and solder to the black/white wire connector pin. Now put these two pins back in there respective holes. Put a dab of silicone between the jumper wire and the wire it is next to.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

Freakazoid,

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. Where did you learn this? Did you do this yourself or read it somewhere? I ordered a Clymer service manual and I was thinking that there may be a wire diagram in it that could help me out.

One thing that i noticed is that you refered to the reverse rev limiter. I only want to eliminate the forward rev limiter. I assum that the wires will be different??

Old 01-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

You are correct. This fix will only eliminate the reverse rev limiter and based on what had to be done to get everything working correct you would probably have to reprogram the CDI and I do not know how to interface with it yet. I have the service manual and it lacks a lot of information on any of the rev limiters. If you find something out let me know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again for the info. If I figure it out I will post it here in the forum. This has pissed me off cause I always hit the higher rpm before the stock z400's do which makes my bike almost the same off the line. There's no point in getting a stage 1 or 2 kit if the rev limiter prevents you from utilizing it.

Old 01-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, it sounds "all good" but there is a mistake. hopefully you can clarify it so i can try it.did u make a mistake when u were talking about the blue/black wire, because u previously said to heat shrink it and silicone the hole. its hard to explain but try. what wire gets the other end of the jumper and where does it go? please help..

1)Disconnect the black wire with the red trace and the ((((blue wire with the black trace and put a piece of shrink tubing over each one of them and put a dab of silicone in the hole the wires came out of)))).
2)Pull out the black wire with the brown trace and the black wire with the white trace. Keep track of the hole they came out of. Make a small jumper wire (approx. 28 ga.) about 2" long, slid it under the rubber seal on the black/brown wire connector pin and solder it to the pin. Do the same with the other end of the jumper and solder to the ((((blue/black wire connector pin. Now put these two pins back in there respective holes)))). Put a dab of silicone between the jumper wire and the wire it is next to.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

remember I was talking about the forward rev limiter. Freakazoid is talking about the reverse rev limiter. Is the reverse rev limiter that important to you?

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for pointing out my mistake; I had read that over many times before posting it. I have corrected it in the previous post. It should have a jumper between the black/brown wire and the black/white wire, then these get plugged back into the CDI in the holes they came out of. The black/red and the blue/black are just disconnected.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did it and it works. the job entails taking off rear plastic, removing the cdi box, then unclipping the plug. i found corrosion on some of the connectors.i guess the cdi plug seal isn't the best. i recommend resealing the holes and seal with silicone. it was a pain to make it a clean job. i enjoy spraying friends when they least expect it. thanks freakazoid. bye the way, i guess suzuki forgot to locktite any of the z400 bolts, jeeze louise.

Old 01-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Dudek,

It worked for the reverse rev limiter??? I didn't think you guys were talking about the forward one but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Eliminate Rev Limiter on Suzuki z400