Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the #90 jet is WOT related...if you're confident carb is clean I'd follow Jack's advice...you may want to inspect the reeds as well...they can & do crack...

Old 03-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so engine cold the compression is at 90

Old 04-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

That's borderline...time for a top-end refresh...

Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Big bird
Default Adjust the valves

Originally Posted by rumblefish1973
The spark plug is getting wet and at one point it got so much gas in the motor it was dripping out of the exhaust manifold gasket. That's when i removed the carb and checked the bowl, then i learned about the "prime" on this bike. That is new to me. I've had several motorcycles and atv's over the years and i've never seen that before. Does the ON and RES positions require the carb to pull the gas down to the carb then via vacuum? i see a second hose going up to the back of the petcock, i'm assuming this is vacuum and not a gas line? After leaving it on prime and figuring out what THAT does, I removed the spark plug and turned it over a couple of times to blow out the excess gas and let it set overnight to dry out.

So, i don't think it's fuel problem. I've taken the carb off and tried straight gas and ether through the intake (reeds) with my hand over it to control air (which I am pretty good at) and tried straight gas and ether in the cylinder too.

I had a 1986 LT250R that would be very hard to start when it got low on compression and needed boring, but it would still fire with a little ether and a couple of kicks. Is this LT80 so cold that it won't even try if the compression is that low? I can feel it sucking good on the intake side and it seems to be enough compression that it puts a good strain on the starter motor.

I saw someone say something about the exhaust on these being clogged up and creating to much backpressure, but it should still hit and at least turn over a little eh ?

jay
I had the same problem and I adjusted the valves and it started right up

Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Big bird

Originally Posted by Macke4s
I know this is an old post so hoping someone is still on here. I have all of the above problems. With the exception that I have good compression 150 psi. Can you help lt80?
Adjust the valves

Old 11-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There are no valves on a 2 stroke.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old lt 80

Have an older lt 80 like a 79 or 89 has a pull start on it. Just did a top end on it, new piston, cylinder, cylinder head etc. quad day for about 5 years before I rebuilt it. Crank was fine and everything else seemed good too. Cleaned the carb and had it running. Next day go to start it and I can’t get it started. Has good spark, choke on and off, tried pumping throttle, tried starting fluid with the air box off nothing is working. Tried a different plug as well Both plugs I tried came out wet. Not sure what else to try?

Old 05-05-2020, 08:58 PM
Range Rover

You may pull the sparkplug out and turn over and see if fuel shoots out plug hole. Probably had fuel flood the carb , which is problem with these quads, while sitting which filled crankcase. If so need to put 1/4 in line cutoff in fuel line as a secondary fuel stop.

The following users liked this post:
Shawn_Elkins515 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Then apply full throttle and start. Turn till it spits and sputters and cleans out.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same prob.

Gentlemen, i appreciate all the info and time you put into this site!
I just picked up an lt80, put a new weisco top end kit in, new carb, spark, petcock and airfilter. I can't get it to start unless I pull the boot from the airfilter, let it run for a couple of min and then put it back on. Since I have a new top end, carb and filter I can't figure what else could be causing this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Quick Reply: LT80 turns over but won't start