Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What am I looking at here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What am I looking at here?

Mechanical opinions please. I can't bring my ATV in for service until next weekend and I'd like to know what my potential problems/fixes are.

On the last ride I burried my Eiger in a muck filled hole. Got out under it's own power and found the airbox full 1/2 way up the side of the stock foam air filter. Stuff was a slurry type mud - about the consistency of thin concrete. Cleaned it out as best as possible on the trail, no evidence of anything in carb, cylinder or oil. It did not get anything in through the exhaust. Then drove out the 5 miles back to the truck. It ran OK except would not idle well, as the air filter was pretty damp.

Back home, cleaned everything up, drained carb, blew out upper cylinder with WD-40 and changed oil/filter. Once again, no evidence that any muck got past the air filter. Only unusual thing was a ticking noise that went away as soon as it warmed up. Over the next week, put about five miles on it around the house. Everything seemed fine.

Went riding today. At startup it smoked like a 2-stroke. Seemed to get better after warm-up. However, after just a bit on the trails it started smoking again. Every once in a while the smoke would stop. Ticking sound came back and burned about 2 quarts of oil in a 14 mile ride. Other than that it ran just fine.

I'm thinking sticking valve but am worried about it being something more serious. Any opinions?

Jaybee (Who if anyone is wondering, was that guy trailing the cloud of blue smoke on trail #16 at Windrock today)

Old 02-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like bad valve seals or guides. What's the possibility of some grit having worn out your seals?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Did it get REAL HOT during the mud hole dilema? Maybe a heat related problem?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Did you high rev it in the hole?
I donno [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But I'll throw a guess out::I'm thinking rings [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But that is just a gut feeling guess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite sure it did not overheat during the mudhole incident. Just kept it running and wallowed it out of there. I'm assuming that some grit found it's way inside even though I found none. Hopefully, it's just the valves/seals.

Jaybee

Old 02-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Dirt getting by the filter is why I guessed rings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I cant see a valve problem from it,but surely is possible.
Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your compression.