Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 and KFX400 frame solutions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 and KFX400 frame solutions

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site, and just purchased my KFX400 about 2 weeks ago, she has less than 10 hours on her. I have been reading several posts regarding the frame cracking problems that some people are experiencing with the Z and KFX. I have also observed several people mentioning reinforcing the frame above the front shocks. I saw one pic of this solution, but not enough to give me an idea of what I might do. Are there any step by step pics out there, or any websites that offer a walk-through process for fixing this problem? I really don't ride too hard, however, I really don't want my frame cracking after I drive over four hours to go riding in northern Michigan this spring!
Thanks, James

Old 02-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

I would'nt worry about it if I was you , If you plan on launching your quad 30 feet high in the air , then you can gusset your frame
which the Z's had a prob with the frame cracking at the welds to the front shocks , some have said they were not jumping or they were riding there quad easy and those spots just broke ....

I launch my KFX everytime I ride and I ride a lot of whoops with large rocks , an example is my skid lasted an hour and a half before it broke through .

I am not worried about my frame , I do beat on my quad but the KFX's have had no reports of this problem

I would recomend spending the extra money and purchase the extended warrenty , I have 3 years .
It is worth it considering we all are LAB RATS for the 03 models , once we break everything on the 04's will
be perfect..

How's the weather up there ? I am originally from the Detroit area , and would do the drive to Boyne Mtn for skiing
I think thats hoy its spelled , anyway you know what I am talking about

Old 02-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reassurance. I was just going to take preventive action if this truly is a flaw even with the KFX. How much was your extended warranty, the quote I got seemed high, almost $500. The weather is getting better slowly, its almost 40 today! It has been extremely cold, below 0 with windchill, thats why I only have about 9 hours on my KFX after 2 weeks! I used to live in the Detroit-metro area myself, what suburb were you from?
Thanks again, James

PS for you guys who get your frames replaced under warranty, how long are they keeping your quads?

Old 02-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

$500 is awesome I paid $700 .

I am from Inkster/Westland area . I lived in Brighton before I moved here , and love it today it will be about 68 , and for
our ride this weekend it will be in the low 60's

Old 02-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Where do we find the pieces to gusset our frames ? How much will these pieces cost ? To what extent does the quad have to be broke down ? And how much and who will weld these in ?

How do we know that every Z/KFX will fail ?

Old 02-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Amazing, when I lived in the Detroit-Metro area, I lived in Westland just off of Ford Road! My mother moved to Rimrock Arizona a few years ago, I visited, and I loved it. I am considering moving out west when I am finished with college...one more year!

Now back to my initial question, since people say that my frame will eventually fail, someone please post some detailed pics, I have no problem aquiring steel, and I have several friends who are great welders, I just need an idea of where to start!

Thanks again, James

Old 02-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Small world , I lived off of Ford and Wayne rd. I bet your going to Northern huh

Old 02-19-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I just started another post hopefully there will be some imput , I think some people are getting tired of hearing about the frame issues

Old 02-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats just about where I lived, Wildwood was the name of the street off of Ford, it is a very small world indeed! Actually I attend Baker College in Port Huron for on campus classes, however most of my classes are taken online now.
Have you found any more info regarding these frames?

Thanks, James

Old 02-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

The world just got smaller I lived at Hunter and Wildwood across the street from the school , I worked at that Dunkin Donuts on the corner
about 14 years ago .. how funny .. I went to Marshall JHS and John Glenn HS class of 92

Quick Reply: Z400 and KFX400 frame solutions