Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kind of new to quads- several questions about my LT230 Quadsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of new to quads- several questions about my LT230 Quadsport

I bought the fourwheeler for $700 from my cousin, this is a list of the stuff it has had done:
-new swingarm(says white brothers on side), new brakes, new front bushings, new oil pump, new cam and rockers, new connecting rod & pin, new clutch discs and springs. I put in new valves and a first oversize Wiseco piston. It needed new plastic when I got it. Did I get a good deal?
I was doing a few donuts in my yard and and the chain came off and took out the magneto cover and chipped the left half of the block. Besides Ebay, where is the best pace to get these parts? Is anyone on here parting out a 230 who would like to sell me a good block half and/or magneto cover?
Okay, thanks for hanging with me so far, now for the questions:
I WANT MORE POWER!!!

1. I need more top end speed without decreasing my bottom end acceleration too much? I thought I could put a 36 tooth sprocket on the rear and keep the stock 12 tooth front. With the mods I want to make, would I still have enough power? What is your opinion?

2. Is the Web Cams mild grind cam a good cam for my four wheeler?

3. I was looking at a DG RCM exhaust. Is this a good system?

4. Where (please give a website) can I get a performance carb that will bolt on? If none, where could I get a performance jetting kit?

5. Is a K&N filter worth it? If no, what else would you suggest?

6. Where can I get a good overbore kit, preferably under $200? I found one that will go to ~245cc made by Arias. Is this a good kit? There is no replacement for displacement.

7. Any other suggestions or opinions for or about power parts?

I went to the Vince's Cycle Shop website. Are their parts and stuff of good quality?

8. How should I correct my sloppy shifter linkage?

9. Also, what are approximate stock horsepower and torque numbers for my quad? What could I expect to gain from all of these parts? How much does an 88 LT230 Quadsport weigh stock?

I've read a lot of old posts and it seems that the suspension was a weak spot. I'm not really looking to upgrade that right now as everything works good, I just want to make it faster. I'll probably ask more questions about this in the future.

I thank you all in advance for your help. Sorry about it being such a long post. If there is anything else I should know, please inform me.
Thanks again,
Rob

Old 03-28-2003, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

As far as your half block goes try East Coast ATV.com they might have what your looking for.

Old 03-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

howdy there i just traded my 230 for a 250 racer the old 230 is a really nice quad for the money.i replaced my shifter with 1 from an old xr80. dump the air box and use a clamp on filter.then jetting of course.the web cam 360grind is what you want for more power.way better than stock.also get a new exhaust.if you ride in the trees run a spark arrester.. good luck and have fun.... motodog

Old 03-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the cost, you got a pretty good deal on the quad. My cousin bought one in worse shape 2 years ago for about 900. It needed a new rear shock, and it was pretty much stock.

As for the mods you are talking about, I'm not sure that you are headed in the right direction. A zuki 230 quadsport isnt really much of anything but a cruiser. It will get you through the trails, but trying to make it faster is like riding a mule in the kentucky derby. if you are on a budget but want to have some real performance, you need a yamaha blaster. they are very cheap used and can be made to run with today's stock 400cc 4 stroke sport quads.

My cousin also has a blaster, a 96 that he picked up for 800. It was bored 30 over, has a dg header, cobra pipe, nerfs, good plastic, oil injection bypass, and runs very very well. Keep your eyes open for something else if you want to be quicker, dont sink more money into the quad than its worth. JMHO...

Old 03-28-2003, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with what maddog56 said. I didn’t put any $s into my Quadsport that I didn’t have to for it to stay ride able. I figured it would cost more to make it fast than it would to buy a fast bike, so I saved all my $ instead and bought a Quadracer.
]

Old 03-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I understand that you don't think its worth my time or money to work on this quad but its my money. I don't really want to sell this quad, and if I did, I would buy my friend's 250X. I don't have that kind of money. I really just want to make this quad a little faster than it is now with better top speed.
I would like some more opinions on some of my other questions though. I picked up a used block for $20 and my cousin has a side cover for meI figure I will save my money and put this engine back together with these pieces and not put a big bore kit in. I already have the first overize wiseco piston. I took the engine off the frame yesterday and was looking at the carb. It is a Mikuni; does anyone no how to tell the model number? I would like to rebuild it because I think it needs one and the gas that was inside it has become stale.
I would still like to hear some opinions on camshafts, K&N air filter, exhaust, and the gears. I figure I could have all of this stuff on the quad for ~$500. That would bring my total cost on the quad to about $1200, and I'm fairly sure I could get that out of it around here if I tried to sell it.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't say it's not worth your time or money to work on. It's a good bike for hill climbing or woods riding. It's just not worth putting many $'s into because you would get much more bang for your buck by saving up and upgrading to a better quad.

If I had any info on performance parts, I would post it but I do not.

I will suggest though, to just go up a size or 2 on the front sprocket. The lt230 does have a lot of torque down low, I’m sure it would pull a bigger gear than stock. Also put on some rear tires that have utility quad style tread and it will crawl up absolutely anything.

You can have a bushing put in the shifter linkage at any machine shop to take out the slop.

I’ve read that it has 11hp. That seemed low to me until I got my a$$ handed to me by my friends stock Blaster. That was also when I decided not to try and make it faster. Even If I doubled the hp it still wouldn’t keep up with my lt250.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

i understand your situation there with funds. dont listen to those guys you can make your 23o a little faster for not alot of money.first put a high compression piston in the thing. i bored mine 40over and a 10.5 to 1 wisco piston,uni pod filter clamp-on style,changed jetting to work, twist throttle,changed rear tires to 20-11-9 turf tamers,chop the *** end off your stock exhuast and grind clean.i also changed the front and rear gearing. my 230 would run great with this setup.for your first quad this setup should get you there. just remember your 230 will not keep up with todays new quads but with these mods it will sure be a respectable machine and a good learning machine.i have found rocky mountian atv to be a great source for cheap parts esp the tires dont forget to shop around for stuff. its how you will find the best deals. glad to help ya.

Old 03-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I know it still won't be competitive with today's high performance quads, but it's not like I'll be racing it. Like motodog said, I just want to make it faster for little money. That horsepower rating does seem a little low(now) considering my brother's go-kart has half of that. My biggest thing was wanting more power to turn faster gears, so I could be faster and still climb the hills and stuff. As for tires, it already has some brand new wooly boogers. They work fine for the type of riding I do. Thank you guys again for your input. If anyone else has opinions on any of my questions, please respond.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

ttt

Quick Reply: Kind of new to quads- several questions about my LT230 Quadsport