Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z 400 Air Box Cutting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z 400 Air Box Cutting

Hey guys, I just picked up my new Z and I'm still in the process of breaking her in. I'm interested in cutting the lid off the air box after I break her in and I had a couple questions: First off, after u cut off the top lid from the box what are u guys using as a new cover to take the lids place? Secondly, I'm not very good when it comes to rejetting and I know I'll probably have to look at a new jet. Will I have to increase the jet to a 140 or decrease it from the stock? (Now keep in mind I live in north eastern Ohio near Cleveland) Thats all i got for now, if u see anything I'm leaving out go ahead and post it. Thanks for any replies.

Peace

*What are u guys using to cut the lid on the box? An exacto knife or something?

Old 04-01-2003, 11:53 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to cut the lid at all, just remove it. I use FilterSkins on my stock filter for now until I decide which aftermarket filter I want, then I'll get Outerwares. As for the jetting, it depends on you elevation.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

You should at least buy a K&N or UNI filter and adaptor with outerwears before you just take off the lid , jet up , I dont think
you need to jet to high because you just takin the lid off .

I have the K&N kit with the outerwear , then I custom made my lid . I cut the whole top off and left just the outer ring , then I wrapped
speaker grill cloth over the top and stapled to the inside.

There was a post in here that someone put pics on how to make the lid , they are great pics and who ever posted it thanks
alot it works great ....

There is something else that you can do to the exhaust but I dont remember it is posted ...

hope this helps ya out

Old 04-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

I cut the spark arrester out of the tail pipe, then cut 10 ¾ inch holes in the lid, filtered the new holes with 1 inch thick poly filter material like you would find on a furnace filter. Then I had to re-jet for my mods, 25 pilot jet, one washer under the needle, and a 145 main jet. I’m at sea level and this set up really gave me a big boost in the mid range. Winds up a little harder on top also, I now occasionally bump the rev limiter.
Well worth the $ 10.00 I have invested into it.
I cut out all the webbing under the lid with a razor knife and dremel tool. Then I bolted a piece of 1/8 inch thick plastic to the under side of the lid with ¼ 20 bolts and wing nuts. Bolt the filter media between the plastic and lid. Works like a champ. Easy no tool filter swap later on when I need it.