Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

High Performance Quad Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Performance Quad Pick?

Hi,

I posted several similiar topics in the polaris and yamaha sites already. I am in the process of purchasing a new quad. I have previously owned two yamaha banshees, a 97 and a 00. I am considering one of the following models, a raptor, predator, another banshee, or a z/kfx. I will most likely be buying the quad new and wanted some unbiased input. Like I said above I am experienced with quads and loved the banshees when I had them. However, with the new quads in the market, I think that it may no longer be the best choice for me. I primarily ride trails with some really fast sections, and enjoy screwing around on some jumps and whoop sections. I was wondering how these quads compare as far as suspension, handling, and the overall fun factor. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I like the appearance of the z/kfx, it really makes the 400ex look outdated. Has anyone had any really serious problems with the quad that wasn't caused by serious abuse or neglect?

Jeff

Old 04-10-2003, 03:33 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Jeff,
Well I own a z400 and a 400ex. I like them both. I have had zero problems with either. I got one of the very first z400's. I have not had axle problems, frame problems otr any thing else people have mentioned. If you are looking for suspension look at the Z/KXF, 400ex. polaris (not in any particular order, its arguable, in stock form I would lean to a Predator, then a Z/KXF, then the EX), not a Banshee or Raptor
If you are looking for easy rideable power ,look at the Raptor, Predator, then Z/KXF ( Banshee has lots, but is peaky, in trail situations it can be a handful)
If I was buying a new quad, was going to do VERY MINIMAL mods (pipe filter), I would get a Z again. Next year I would get a Predator, but first year jitters on a new motor make me nervous about that quad(2001 Raptors,I am kinda nervous about the Z, but the DRZ is pretty reliable).
I have ridden them all and they are all really nice.
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions : Good Luck

Old 04-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

My good friend has a shee...that he had TCS do the suspension on. Rebuilt rear...and new fronts. I havnet riden it yet...but he says it is night and day from stock and the faster you ride it...the better it handles. So you may wanna consider that. But its still a 2 stroke...and sucks down the gas big time. (but u already know that!)

Im very happy with my Z...ive ridden maybe at the most so far...6 hours...and still had gas in the tank...ive yet to hit reserve! The only problem ive had is the rear axle (bent). Ive replaced it with a Lone Star....and its been fine ever since.