Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2 Stroke vs. 4 stroke.... Pros cons... and why too strokes are better :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Stroke vs. 4 stroke.... Pros cons... and why too strokes are better :)

sorry about the word "u", my bad

Old 06-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2 Stroke vs. 4 stroke.... Pros cons... and why too strokes are better :)

ok first off, i race in the amatuer 125 class. my bike needs to stay consistent. Im not "wasting my money" when i replace the top end. I dont need tunning lessons. The bike stays at a top-notch level. It may not "need" a replacement, but in racing any bit of wear on a piston and head including the carbon buildup needs to be maintained. By the way, other kid said "reving" your engine in mid air to be a show off. First off, there are like 40 other bikes in the race which makes it incredibly loud. No one would see anything cool about reving the engine in mid air. And when people do this they aren't being show offs they are closing their suspension (the tire spins) and this brings the front end up.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

dont know about you, but my factory suzuki moto x rm250, doenst need a top or bottom every race, not even every season, depends on how it is tuned, and ported.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

omg dude, u dont race. You dont understand that i have a race bike. Its not a trail riding hobby for me like it is for you. I have over 1000 dollars put into my engine due to milling and porting. And did you not catch the part of my last post that said "It doesnt necessary "Need" it, but its a requirement for a race engine"

Old 06-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i have 10k race engines that i dont replace the top ends on if not needed. A good way to check if a top end is worn out is (shhh) a compression tester. Its fine to tear a bore down and check out the sleeve, but if there are no deep gauges in it and the compression is holding steady, you do not need a piston AND crank. geez...you only need a crank when the rod gets loose, which will not happen after a month of racing, i promise. If your bore is fine and your down a few comp. points, go ahead and put some rings on it.

I guess the point is, if you feel you need that last 5psi of compression after every race thats fine. Your money. But dont go on a public forum and tell people 2-strokes need rebuilds after a month of riding, because thats feeding garbage to people looking to get into 2-strokes

Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said beech or dont tellem their machine runs like azz cuz they havent rebuilt it every month. if my motor has lack of compression ill do the topend. if not ill take the kids to the ball game or something . dont fix it ,if not broke? thats how i prefer do stuff. just my opinion til i win lottery lol

btw whoever started this post 10 pages ago id look over all the possibilities and pick whats right for your wallet,riding preferences and style. then u will be happy and we will still be here arguing over topends on 2 strokes lol

Old 06-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

i never told anyone they have to replace a top end every month on this forum. I said every 3 months, check it. I said that "I" replace it every few races, "I" not other people. I also said that it doesnt "NEED" it for the 50th time. Learn to read before you critisize.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

actually my bike is a full blown race bike, it is a now retired, moved to a new 2004rm, Factory Team Suzuki Bike, My RM250, was a Factory Suzuki Race Bike. it was raced and hard. now every month is odd, i run my psi all the time, and if it is low then i will do the top, but with all my motor mods(over 1000$+, being you like money numbers) even running the shaved head, and port work, the thing revvs to the moon, now thats some beating on that top end, and i dont seem to loose compression. i gaurentee i ride harder on the trails, then you ever could on a track 2-4th. i also use my bike as a "show" bike, and stunt, so it sees some pavement, and alot of pinned top speed runs, and this motor i have must be a bullet then.

anyone who is thinking of buying a 2 stroke, get one you will love it, a topend mabey needs to be done 1-2yrs, mabey like i said with my old ts250. i know a buddy who has a 1991 lt, and he just did the crank, and .040 over on the motor, 2 strokes last forever, and are cheaper to rebulid, or just do what i did get one of each!

v581

Old 06-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

This thread is huge in the Suzuki forum... I can't imagine how big it'd be on the YAMAHA side.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

hmm, lets not bother them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2 Stroke vs. 4 stroke.... Pros cons... and why too strokes are better :)