Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 cons???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 cons???

The dang chain adjustment sucks. I have a hard time getting both sides to line up. Why couldn't they use a round housing swingarm. I bent my axle at 7 months and Suzuki replaced it for free. My second axle has been holding up much better. The second axle was a darker gold color. I think my left upper shock mount is starting to crack. There is a little bit of paint missing. I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow moring to have it looked at.

If reverse isn't important to you, I would get a Predator. It was race tested before it was released and so far hasn't had any serious problems.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Range Rover
Default Z400 cons???

I just finished my 10 hour break in, and i have rode pretty much every quad out there.

For a good all around bike the Z is awesome, it will do pretty much anything.

I got mine for the SAME price as a 2003 400ex..so i figured what the heck i want reverse!

Granted it isn't going to handle like a built Race 250R, but it handles pretty damn good! I'm doing a little jumping and the suspension feels soft, but then i haven't adjusted it any yet.

Old 05-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z400 cons???

Stock power is kind of weak on the bottom end, but a K&N, header and pipe will fixed that! I ride with two Banshees and a Raptor, and have no problems keeping up, mainly because I can outhandle them in the corners.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Range Rover
Default Z400 cons???

Right now when it comes to full packages the Z is it...tho the KFX 700 seems very intersting. You will hear all this crud about power...only thing that handles close to a Z is the 400 ex and the 250r...250r is still ONE of the best handling quads to date...Z far better powered then the EX and edges out the 250r in stock form...have two partners that raced 250r's back in the late 80s/early 90s tell me that after testing a few Zs and KFXs. Those that talk about power fail to realize you can get the Z's power up far easier and less expensive then improve the handling of the machine they are usually talking about.

You should see a piped Z with air mods and intake/exhaust cams go (there is a dyno of one with 50 hp)...you have a bike that will easily keep pace with a piped raptor in a drag and KILL it on a track/trails for about 300-500 dollars cheaper. I rode the raptor, predator, DS 650 and the KFX 400 extensively before buying. My personnel opinion was that the Z had good power, cheaper then the others, out handled the rest, and was very diverse to where it performed equally well on track, sand and trials. I worked a deal on purchase to get pro flo kit and full yoshi comp pipes (still keeping it under 6k) and now the thing is a mid-range monster. It literally rips throughout the entire powerband...but the biggest hit comes with a HUGE mid-range pull.

Bulldogz: how does yours do with that intake cam?

Also in the race circuit you are seeing a steady transition to the KFX/Z quad...CT racing has a monster KFX 400 out right now...reason CT went KFX instead of the Z...said their was already to many yellow Z's on the track and wanted something that stood out...that should tell you something about the quads handling and potential.

PROS: Great handling, good/stable jumper, light, engine is very responsive to upgrades, good climber, good in diverse conditions, alot of aftermarket companies pursuing the bikes mods
Cons: Frame and axle...based off discussions with dealer and Suk rep these problems were caught in production run and addressed...axle caught real quick and frame not as quick. Do know for a FACT the axles were addressed as it was shown to me when i bought my KFX (one of the first quads in production compared to mine)...havent had the frame fix shown to me yet. Chain is hard to adjust. Not much more after that.

Several good quads out right now...just research and be selective to ensure you get one that fits your riding style...if you like sand draggin then the banshee or the Raptor might be a better pick...dont know how or where you ride...but need to be careful if you are looking at two strokes...they are really under the gun right now and there is proposals to ban them in a couple of states...this will only get worse.

Old 05-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

Bosox07- The intake cam was great. When I had just had the pipe, filter, and jetted, it would run about even with my neighbors stock Raptor. Wiht the intake cam, I put 2 lengths on him. He now has a pipe but when I get the Z back with the 440 he's in for a suprise [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Range Rover
Default Z400 cons???

Bulldogz So the piped Raptor is beating you with your intake cam? Do you have the exhaust cam as well...where does the hit come with the intake and where does it come with the exhaust cam. Been talking to a guy that informed me he is running ahead of a piped raptor with his intake/exhaust cams. There is a guy on z400 community site that posted a dyno of his with 50 some odd horsepower with just a pipe, air flow kit, and cams...he had to have done something else then as i dont think the rappy is pulling 50 horsepower with just a pipe.

Old 05-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

Bosox07- I have not raced the Rap since he got the pipe on it, but by the way it feels, I'd imagine that he would have beat me with the intake cam only. (he got about 4 days ago and my quad has been in shop), but in stock form, I beat him with the intake cam only. I did not have the exhaust cam on. You feel the difference in mid-top range with the cams and the best way I could describe it would be... for example...

Without intake cam-seemed to lack "pull" in the mid/high rpm's (hard for bike rev out fast)
With intake cam-more torque in the mid/high rpm's that really made the bike rev out well.

It is kinda hard to explain but once you do it you will know what I'm talking about [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Z400 cons???

my bike is broke i hate suzuci it sucks a you know i hate it the thing it the engine and carb blue is hate it i ran it with oil all the way to the top of the big rubber tank and gass in that realy okward plase by the springs and it broke and they wont cover it by warenty

Old 05-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Z400 cons???

Originally posted by: jrime
my bike is broke i hate suzuci it sucks a you know i hate it the thing it the engine and carb blue is hate it i ran it with oil all the way to the top of the big rubber tank and gass in that realy okward plase by the springs and it broke and they wont cover it by warenty
Your mad at Suzuki because YOU overfilled you oil tank?

Old 05-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

The biggest "con" I see is that it's a 4-stroke!

But to some... it's all fine and good. Just not for me!

Quick Reply: Z400 cons???