Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 cons???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 cons???

Originally posted by: jrime
my bike is broke i hate suzuci it sucks a you know i hate it the thing it the engine and carb blue is hate it i ran it with oil all the way to the top of the big rubber tank and gass in that realy okward plase by the springs and it broke and they wont cover it by warenty

I can't even read this jibberish.....

Old 05-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Range Rover
Default Z400 cons???

ok ok guys i found a con

the rear brake rotor is junk!...mine is squeaking and warped after only 15 hours. i'm slightly mad about this. The warranty doesn't cover brake compents either..

Old 05-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Z400 cons???

If I were you I wouldn't listen to dirtgirl I don't think she has a clue on what she's talkin about the steering and handling of the z400 are much better then a raptors you don't need new shocks to fix that cause there's nothing wrong with it. I think she's the one that hasn't ever rode a good handleing quad. In fact it's one of the better handling quads out there.

Z400(yellow)
full bills pipe
165 main
K&N filter(w/ outerwear)
no air box lid
shock wears
engine ice
inline cooler

Old 05-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

Watch out for frame tweakage behind the rear lower control arm mount. This area is not re-inforced like it should be (compare the same area to a 400EX and you'll see what I'm talking about). I've seen numerous Z's already heavily bent in this area from hitting trees on the trail, which is going to happen from time to time if you're an aggressive rider.

Kinda a bummer with the Z frame being so expensive. If you decide to get one, probably a good idea to get this area "trayed in" before it bends.

The only other downside to the Z is expensive parts if you compare it to a 400EX. Many parts prices are several times the cost of a similar part for a 400EX.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

[quote]
Originally posted by: Noslo
If I were you I wouldn't listen to dirtgirl I don't think she has a clue on what she's talkin about the steering and handling of the z400 are much better then a raptors you don't need new shocks to fix that cause there's nothing wrong with it. I think she's the one that hasn't ever rode a good handleing quad. In fact it's one of the better handling quads out there.

Hey! Go easy on Dirtgirl! SHe's a really sharp chick (Well, okay... mentally and physically) and she owns two quads that handle quite well.

This forum is for the exchange of information... It's up to you guy's to sort through it and learn for what it's worth!

Perhaps you are the one that hasn't ever ridden a really good handling quad?

Just my $.02

Old 05-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

[quote]

Compared to my 250R (which has a Laeger's chassis) and my 300EX which has wider a-arms and Works shocks, the stock Z400 doesn't handle very good at all - the suspension is WAY too soft or something. It just doesn't feel right to me - sorry!

OH another thing, if I had a Raptor I would work on the suspension on it too. They are on the tippy side because they sit tall just like the Z400, the only reason the Z400 isn't tippy is because the suspension is softer. If I had a Raptor I would put a set of Banshee length shocks on it and lower it down some.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Range Rover
Default Z400 cons???

[quote]
Originally posted by: dirtgirl

Compared to my 250R (which has a Laeger's chassis) and my 300EX which has wider a-arms and Works shocks, the stock Z400 doesn't handle very good at all - the suspension is WAY too soft or something. It just doesn't feel right to me - sorry!

OH another thing, if I had a Raptor I would work on the suspension on it too. They are on the tippy side because they sit tall just like the Z400, the only reason the Z400 isn't tippy is because the suspension is softer. If I had a Raptor I would put a set of Banshee length shocks on it and lower it down some.
Dirtgirl - Why are you comparing the handling of your modded quads to the Z?

The Z isn't as tippy because it is 2" wider and does not have a big gas tank and radiator sitting up high in the frame. Top heavy is not word that is associated with the Z. It has been with the Raptor. I want to ride a Raptor sometime to see how much of a handling difference there is. I had a 400EX before the Z and I feel the Z keeps the front end down better than the EX. EX has instant response off of the very bottm and hooks up better than the Z. I am 6' and 260lbs of lean fat so I feel more comfortable on the Z than I do on the EX.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

Mainly because somebody (noslo) was saying I had never ridden a good handling quad.... Even in stock form my 250R and 300EX handled better than the Z400. I also have a Quadzilla LT500R, and did have an LT250R but it got stolen.... I have also ridden a stock 400EX, a stock Raptor, a Banshee, and even tried the new Gas Gas. Out of those quads the Gas Gas and the 400EX handled the best. I am 5'6" 115 pounds so I usually HAVE to change out the shocks on the quads I buy so they will work good for me. Maybe the reason you think the Z400 feels OK is because you weigh enough to compress the suspension far enough that it doesn't have that "wandering" feeling. I personally prefer my quads to have a tighter suspension and better responding steering.. I don't want to have to fight with the steering in the woods mainly because I have nerve damage in my left shoulder from crashing my dirt bike into a tree. One of my other friends who rides a worn out Warrior tried a different Z400 and he didn't like it either he even said his Warrior felt better than it did. There was nothing wrong with the one I rode - it was still new from the factory. I am friends with the guy who owns the local Suzuki dealership in town and he let me try the first one he got in right after they were released. I am not saying it isn't a good quad, it just didn't really thrill or impress me that much.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

I respect what you say but wait a sec...you mean to say that your friend preferred the handling and suspension of a Warrior over the Z???? I have both of them and the difference is night and day. My Warrior handles like a tank compared to the Z, and bottoms out on 10 foot jumps!! I guess everyone has there different opinions though so if he says he likes it better than maybe he does...(or maybe he's high [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

Old 05-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Z400 cons???

To each his or her own, Hay dirtgirl I had a couple or LT's I liked them alot but got sick of the up keep. Do you ever go to Haspin Acers?

Quick Reply: Z400 cons???