Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

with high compression do i lose top speed , in exchange for more low end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default with high compression do i lose top speed , in exchange for more low end?

thanks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Range Rover
Default with high compression do i lose top speed , in exchange for more low end?

IT doesnt really matter what head you use you just need to do it correctly. The pro design cool heads look trick and may offer you better cooling but I think they are overatted for the cost. Never the less you already have one so use it. IVe heard bad things about the o-ring type. My cousin had a lt 500 and blew 2 motors due to overheating, so he bought a cool head. 2 rides later same problem, the motor kept overheating and losing coolant. They replaced the water pump, problem solved so its not always the head. Remember though when installing a new gasket to completely scrape off the old gasket, use yamabond for a better seal, and torque down heads for a uniform seal. Also if you are replacing the piston, make sure to break the motor in properly, dont go race the first day out. If your rings dont seat properly you will have less compression and be prone to more bigger problems.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

Do you think the cool heads are OVER-RATED ? i was wondering why these people advertise it to add reliablity but in the end i was blowing more engines than if it were stock. i think i could be blowing gaskets because the gaskets that blew were not genuine suzuki, i was using cometic gaskets. its OK to run the cool head over a flat surface with sandpaper on it right? just to make sure it is a true , flat surface. i even ran the cylinder over the sandpaper to make sure it was a true flat surface. what do you think about doing that?

Old 05-01-2003, 04:14 AM
Range Rover

Personally id have a shop smooth out the head. they dont use sand paper they use more high tech machining for a true flat smooth surface. Remember what the purpose of a gasket is for . It keeps the dirt out but most importantly the inside edge of your gasket keeps your coolant where it belongs. IM not sure who told you to use sand paper but sounds kinda foolish. I scrape my head witha razor blade,. IF my head had some major imperfections id bring it to be machined. Genuine suzuki gaskets would be preferable but cometic which comes with wiseco piston should be ok. Wiseco has been around a while so id trust them. Better cooling is always better but after market parts are inherently more unreliable than stock, and 250r dont have cooling problems, if yours does it cuz its not set up correctly or needs new parts.