Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

hey LT80! i'm putting my 80 back together and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey LT80! i'm putting my 80 back together and need help!

hey man i put the piston/cylinder together tonight.... let me make sure i'm doing a couple of things right...

1. the old piston was in there with the arrow on top pointing towards the exhaust port so i installed the new .5 piston the same way...

2. the rings had "T" on one side of them and i'm assuming that means "TOP"... it's been a while since i've put a engine back together... hehe ..

3. i torqued down the head in a criss-cross pattern with a small 1/4" socket wrench in two rounds, first snug and then come back and tightened further... i hope that will be tight enough as i don't a small torque wrench....

4. is there an exhaust gasket or o-ring that i need to get? i don't think this bike had one and it was leaking around that... also i've noticed that the exhaust pipe is very heavy and has alot of crud and oil in it... i also think the previous owner must have drilled some holes in it to drain out the excess oil? it has 4 holes on the bottom (only one has threads) and one on the side where the little pipe comes out.... i pulled the bolts that were in the holes and emptied the rest of the carb cleaner can i had into it and shook it around good and then let it on fire to try and burn out the oil... it popped through like a potatoe gun a couple times and was cool hehe... any suggestions? i do have a small mig welder and an angle grinder that i can fill those holes back in...

5. do you recommend rtv or cork to seal up the pull-starter to the case?

thanks!

Old 04-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can give you a little help, the exhaust does need a little copper/fiber seal,you can get that from a dealer or shop. The stock pipe does need to be drained once in a while,that is the threaded drain you see. If the former owner drilled extra holes, it may be plugged up,and may need replacing. You can try leaving solvent in the pipe overnight to soften up the gunk, and see if it will flush out then.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

it's not clogged as it passes compressed air pretty well.... but will probably try some more carb cleaner in it and burn out what i can unless someone convinces me it's worth buying an aftermarket pipe for this baby... i kinda wanted to see what power it has stock and then do mods....

anyone know if there is a way to tighten the chain on this bike? I couldn't figure out a way and i'm thinking about making a tensioner to sit on the back side if buying a new chain doesn't tighten it up good... is 18 links 520 chain right? there's a DID on there now that doesn't have a master link, which I like but i compared it to a couple links of a spare 520 chain i had and it's stretched so needs to be replaced...

i cleaned out the gas tank and oil tanks today... anybody got any recommendations on injection oil to use? i currently have 2 stroke synthetic for my Polaris Scramber and synthetic for my 98 seadooo or standard injection oil that goes in my 92 seadoo i could use... i used to use bel-ray MC-1 when I had my 86 LT-250R.....

also cleaned out the carb and need a gasket/rebuild kit for it now... it was pretty gummed up but good now after dipping for an hour in the tank... anybody got any suggestions where to get one as the mail order shops don't list one for this bike... saw one or two on ebay but unsure about them...

later

Old 04-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

cool..
1)correct
2)good job
3)wish you had a torque wrench (115 inch pounds) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
4) yes you need the factory exhaust gasket...holes in the pipe may be good or bad. I know for sure that it runs fine w/o the holes.
5)There should have been a cork gasket under the original cover. this needs to be used as to put the pull start in the correct position so as the teeth line-up correctly.w/o it the teeth only hit 1/2 way on the gear and pre-mature wear will result.
have fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

4. that was a vague answer! hehe i know that 2 strokers use the pipe as part of the chamber/expansion so i think holes are BAD. i've heard people complain about pipes when they get dented even though i've never experienced one myself. do you have any good pipes you wanna sell or recommendations on what to buy?

any recommedations on the chain, oil or carb kit?

thanks!

Old 04-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I recommend the stock pipe.Few if any run better.The stock piped Lt's at the nationals are still beating the piped ones.
Heating the pipe up cherry red cleans them out well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I havent needed anything that the carb kit could offer.Your gaskets are THAT beat up?
oil:I tell ppl to use what they like. Most are fine. I would recommend disconnecting the oil injection and running pre-mix [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'll send a pic of how to adjust the chain.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2003, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

gotcha, my plan is to repair this pipe by welding nuts to some of the holes so i can put bolts in and stop them up...

i took a propane torch and put the flame in through the holes for about an hour until i couldn't stand the smoke anymore.... i need to remeber this later when i want to get rid of all those mosquitos.... we need to invent a 2 stroke oil that will ward off bugs and then the environmentalist wouldn't complain as much! maybe i'll do more later or soak it with carb cleaner again.... would a acetalene torch be too hot? or maybe MAPP gas?

yes my gaskets are hardened up and may not seal right so i'll take your advice and use RTV at the reed cage and between the carb flange... i'll wait to see what you send me and get gas resistant o-rings or cork to fix the rest....

one thing i noticed that was new to me is the small rubber boot around the jet inside the bowl... is this to prevent sloshing? i'll take a pic if you are curious.... i'm betting you know what i'm talking about since i've never seen this before in all of my larger Kehin and Mikuni rebuilds... is it necessary? it's still in good condition..

hehe i know u must have a tried and tested lots of oil since you race these things! i know some people that swear by yamalube even in their polaris' and then there's the LT250R i had was running MC1 so i just stayed with it.... or can you recommend your experience with synthetic vs. conventional and a what ratio if I premix? i like the synthetic idea and tend to be able to afford the better if it will make the bike run better and last longer... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

that pic looks like the tensioner on a 85-86 Honda TRX-70 's.... what was suzuki thinking when they made their 80! do you add more links to the chain on purpose with the idea that more links last longer? does the cover still fit or did ya scrap that?

i really appreciate the advice...

lata

Old 07-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

rumblefish
did you get reply on the purpose of the rubber boot on the bottom of the main jet? My LT80 is having issues dying out at anything above mid throttle. I thought this may be the problem, but when I removed it ....no difference. What the heck is it there for? I've already rebuilt the carb and removed the guts on the on-off-purge gas valve to make sure it is flowing enough gas to the carb. Getting kinda stumped!