Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

who has the fastest LT250/500?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has the fastest LT250/500?

Roost,

I can make a very NASTY zill with $1,900... but we've already beat that dead horse haven't we?

Old 05-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Study your history.... the original prototype LT's were nasty, and never made available to the general public.
Duneaddict you are right i am not the most knowlageable person outhere when it comes to dirtbikes and i was probably wrong with the 490cc thing and no i wont do anything to attempt to learn all there is to know about them as they dont do a thing for me, in other words i cant careless about those dirtbikes weither they are 80cc or 500cc.In fact the only time i have fun with dirtbikes is when i kick their asses in a race, the look on those 250cc riders faces when they lose a race to a quad is priceless...

The only reason i brung the 490cc dirtbike thing up is pretty simple since all those 500cc bike in stock trim would only hit around 85-90mph (of course you can change thier gearing and hit higher speeds) do you really beleive that with only minor mods like a pipe and a gear change you can get a much heavier vehicule, a much less aerodynamic vehicule etc. to hit 108mph...From what i have seen so far it takes "about" 70hp to be able to reach those speeds on pavement but all of this comes at a big cost, yes your ride hits 108mph but it now accelerates like an LT230...

Unless your bike makes at least 90rwhp dont even bother trying to hit those kinda speeds, if you dont beleive me then gear it accordingly take it to the drag strip run the 1/4 and see how badly you get your *** kicked.

This last paragraph wasnt directed at you Duneaddict as i dont recall you claiming to hit those kind of speeds and since i dont know anything about your Zilla i cant comment on it, it was directed at those who seems to think that reaching 108mph while retaining a great acceleration is as simple as putting a pipe and a bigger front sprocket on their ride...Not!!!!!

Old 05-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Imback

The only reason i brung the 490cc dirtbike thing up is pretty simple since all those 500cc bike in stock trim would only hit around 85-90mph (of course you can change thier gearing and hit higher speeds) do you really beleive that with only minor mods like a pipe and a gear change you can get a much heavier vehicule, a much less aerodynamic vehicule etc. to hit 108mph...From what i have seen so far it takes "about" 70hp to be able to reach those speeds on pavement but all of this comes at a big cost, yes your ride hits 108mph but it now accelerates like an LT230...

Unless your bike makes at least 90rwhp dont even bother trying to hit those kinda speeds, if you dont beleive me then gear it accordingly take it to the drag strip run the 1/4 and see how badly you get your *** kicked.

This last paragraph wasnt directed at you Duneaddict as i dont recall you claiming to hit those kind of speeds and since i dont know anything about your Zilla i cant comment on it, it was directed at those who seems to think that reaching 108mph while retaining a great acceleration is as simple as putting a pipe and a bigger front sprocket on their ride...Not!!!!!

No offense taken.. I was merely pointing out the need for accuracy in the posts... there's alot of folks that read this forum, and the info needs to be as valid and accurate as possible.

Do I believe that 'minor' mods will make a quad run that fast??? NO. I'm saying Suzuki did MAJOR de-tuning from the original prototype. Look at the HP output of the big bore bikes of the mid-late 80's... CR500 comes to mind... they had much more power than the measely 50 reported on the LT500.. It's pretty obvious that there is a bunch more potential in that motor that the factory didn't let us have.
We're not talking some gearing adjustment and a pipe here...

Besides, Who would ever want to ride a quad that fast anyhow?? Mine's set-up to go very fast in a short distance.. I hardly ever get over 60!

You're absolutely right about merely changing to a higher gear ratio... It might run pretty fast, but your acceleration will suffer horribly.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So how come in the 15 years that the zilla has been produced you guys havent found a way to re-tune it? They are still slow. I know they are heavy, but you guys make it sound like they are these rockets in disguise.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

I do.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats what Im trying to say DaBeech. I know they should run good, but rarely(not always) do they!

RoostKing...

Old 05-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't stereotype....but you're right most are slow Dabeech... In stock form (Or modified without a clue) they are a turd!!
But mine doesn't fit that description... If done right, and put on a diet... the mighty 500 will surprise you.
There are many folks out there just doing hack and slash port grinding and calling that a wicked motor build.... WRONG!

I always enjoy it when the underdog whips up on the bad boys... that's why I tune on the old Zuk.... I like being the underdog.
75 reliable horsepower is easily obtainable if one knows what they are doing... the rest is a weight game. The old power to weight ratio comes into play.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Duneaddict, I'm with you on this. However, you forgot to add the "advertised 20%" to your HP quote. Now everyone with 85-95 magazine HP will think you are slow. Even though you've probably handed it to a few.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Ha! You're right Hal!! I like for them to think I'm slow... then let the machine do the talking. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Dependable 75 HP from 500cc? My flat track banshee is stock rod, .020 over, FTZ ported (not the most radical portjob by any means), and is making around 70HP (estimated judging from friends bikes who have dynoed). I am at only 150lb compression. I feel low to mid 70's is easily attainable with more compression and good tuning. This is still out of a 350cc machine. This is a VERY dependable combination and is constantly over-reved on every straightaway. Most drag motors are shifted sooner and never see the RPM's flat track engines see.

Quick Reply: who has the fastest LT250/500?