Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

quick howto: loosen flywheel nut w/o impact

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick howto: loosen flywheel nut w/o impact

i thought i'd share a little trick for loosening the flywheel nut on your blaster. this can be a frustrating experience for someone without access to air tools. down to the gritty.

put the box end of a wrench the flywheel nut. the wrench should be 45 - 90 degrees from the footpeg. repeatedly spin the flywheel clockwise using the wrench, forcing the footpeg to stop the momentum of the flywheel. 3 or 4 decent taps and the nut should be free enough that you can hold the flywheel with your hand and back the nut off. the inertia of the flywheel acts like an impact wrench, forcing the nut to turn counter-clockwise in relation to the shaft. lefty loosey =]. just make sure your box end wrench is squarely seated on the nut.

this should apply to most 2 strokes i would think. slight modification to the technique may be required. i bear no liability of you make an attempt for the darwin awards. hell i bear no liability at all.