Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

fuel clogging issues - anyone else??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel clogging issues - anyone else??

Hi guys, first time poster. I own 3 quads, 2 250EXs (02 & 06) and a 03 blaster, the blaster is still oil injected. I've owned quads for years and this year I've had to pull the carbs at least 10 times in the last 6 mos as the primary valve (I think its called the primary, where the float is connected to the inlet) gets clogged and wont allow fuel to enter the carb. Its always the same problem and has been happening since summer.

I know the first thing you think of is bad or old gas. We always run super and I've gotten it from different gas stations. This has happened at least twice to each quad, but the newer 250EX is the worst. We never let the quads sit that long w/o using them or I'll put Stabil in the gas. Its happened so frequently, over time, and to different quads, I'm wondering if today's gas has an emissions additive that the bikes dont like.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Do your machines engines require "super unleaded"?

Also, since gas has been near record highs for some time, I am wondering who would buy it? I mean where I am at when a gallon of regular was $5.25 a gallon super unleaded was $9.54 a gallon! So at nearly twice as much I am having trouble seeing someone buy it due to its already inflated price. This may mean that is sits for a very LONG time in the stations tank before you buy it. So you think you are getting "fresh" gas when it has already been sitting for 2, 4, 8 months or longer.

As far as emissions additives go who knows what "secret" ingredient they are adding. I know of guys who have some trouble with the oxygenated gas thing as it appears to attract water to the fuel and then dirt particles or rust are attracted to the water which then can sit and corrode the cast aluminum carb on an ATV and form these little green chunks of goo. Which as you are aware clog things up.

I had an inline filter and saw almost no difference to the problem you are describing. It just prolonged the time between cleanings.

My problems have nearly vanished since I began using the fuel additive Seafoam. It is a fuel system cleaner, dryer and stabilizer all in one. I think it can also be used in your oil. It is absolutely great stuff. I now have my local auto parts store order it by the gallon. I usually get a case of 4 for less than $100 and it last me quite a while. Other wise you can get it in a pint size for about $10.

I also usually take my carbs apart once each year and clean them as "preventative" maintenance. Since I have started this I have not had a single issue on my machines. Can't say the same about the guys I ride with.

SJ

Old 12-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, Swampy. You're getting hosed really bad at the pump. Gas is about a buck and a half for regular and 20 cents more for super across most of the country.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Well the prices I used were from about two months ago. It is now just under $3.00 a gallon for regular unleaded and about $6.00 a gallon for Super. Here in AK we have been getting hosed at the pump for so long I am almost used to bending over and grabbing my ankles at the pump.

Diesel is just as high.