Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

How to make a track

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a track

So the woods around my house are barricaded by small trees, bushes, and bigger trees. So I dont know what the best way to clear the land is, I went out there with an axe, shovel, rake, and bush trimmers and over the course of 2 hours got pretty much nothing done that makes a difference. So if anyone has experience or just helpful advice, by the way I have NO money so dont say go rent a tractor or another type of heavy machinery.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Talk to a logging company about having some of your trees harvested... They will come in and cut down your big trees for you and pay you for them if they are worth anything to them ( depends on what kind of trees they are) that may give you the money to go rent some real equipment to finish the job

Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

o yea I should probably tell you guys its not my property, as far as I know its just the states because well I just dont know so I cant do anything like that because I could EASILY get sued!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Doing anything on state land like cutting trees or or making jumps could get you in trouble

Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

its not like its a state park though its just unowned land

Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Someone owns the land one way or another. It is probably private property or, as you say, state owned. You might find out about it at your town hall tax assessor's office. Just give them the address and you can find out who owns the property. Either way, you shouldn't be on land without permission. Permissions can include being part of an ATV club or just going to the person who owns it and asking. I'd personally be very upset if someone came onto my property and started cutting trees down. As it is, there is a snowmobile/ATV trail through my property. I don't mind it and am happy to help them keep things clear up on the trail. I also ride up there too.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

its a weird situation around here though, There are already miles of trails around my house that run along property that I want to build on so basically no one just ever got around to that piece of land. I know I can build there without a problem its just I dont know how to start.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, if you can't afford the heavy equipment, it's going to be slow going no matter what. Once you figure out the legalities, you could maybe trade your labor for a friend's tractor time. Do you know someone with a chainsaw? Same thing. I have people who owe me some labor when the time comes. Bartering works. If you have a pickup you can get dirt pretty cheap at a local sand and gravel yard.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TsXBlaster

its a weird situation around here though, There are already miles of trails around my house that run along property that I want to build on so basically no one just ever got around to that piece of land. I know I can build there without a problem its just I dont know how to start.</end quote></div>

Ever hear the saying "leave well enough alone"?

I think maybe you are poking a beehive here. You have a place to ride on state land, or unknown land and no one is hassling you. If you start bringing equipment and chainsaws in there and start cutting and plowing you are going to attract attention. And you might just end up getting screwed out of all the riding area you have now.

I would not alter the land if I did not own it, or if I could not talk directly to the owner and ask him. I would make trails within the natural confines of the land, if the tree is too big to knock down with your bumper go around it.

I know what you are saying, in that the land is there and chances are no one is going to hassle you. And the existing trails are giving you a tepid green light to make more. But I would be very careful. If you get caught riding on existing trails you can easily say you didn't know you were not allowed there. If you are caught cutting trees and sculpting land someone else own you could end up facing criminal charges and you don't want that.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

go to the county apraisal district..... or courthouse ask for a map find the property get the property number and see who has the property...

i am a land mangment agent for seitel data i do this for a living....whats if you have sum sort of adress for the location your looking for maybe i can look it up for you

Quick Reply: How to make a track