Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Need a little help deciding - which is the best anti-virus if you want to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help deciding - which is the best anti-virus if you want to buy?

I poke around on these forums all the time, and I'm concerned about catching a virus. I've been getting a lot of notifications about needing to update my virus software. So here's my input and my question - If I want to buy a anti-virus program, which one should I choose. Here what I found after research:

Cyberdefender - You have to upgrade to the paid version to remove viruses, but it has a really great scanner to remove spyware and trojans, but it comes with 24/7 computer help. Plus is a NASDAQ company.

Norton 360 – This is expensive, my experience with Norton was not so good, and it was slow. NASDAQ Company.

SuperAntiVirus – Corny name, but has 12 million users, but I found it a little slow.

PC Tools – nice interface, private company so who knows how stable they are, but software is fully functional for free.

AVG – popular for the free version but it only works 30 Days before you must buy, but we found it slow, and the paid version offers nothing additional.

Prevx – Good free scanner, cartoon look, only scans – need to buy to remove anything.

So all of these anti-viruses offer a $29 paid version (except AVG - $34 is cheapest paid version). We are leaning to Cyberdefender, but I would like some feedback on this before I go any further.

Which is the best free version? Which offers the best protection/speed balance? There's so much to learn about all of this.

Thank you for your help.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm running a newer version of Norton 360 and find it tons better than previous versions speed-wise. I have never gotten a virus with Norton running. I used to run 40-60 installation/uninstalls per day for a software review website back in the early 2000s and liked Norton Ghost for quick recovery.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

I use McAfee anti virus, automatic updates on a daily basis and never had a problem with it or any outside virus or threat of any kind.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Avast antivirus, free download and yearly renewal, you can buy the premium version, but I have had great luck with my free one now for years. I used McaFee before, and still got viruses, downloaded from avast.com, on the reccommendation of an IT guy at work, and it found lots of stuff Mcafee never did. Couldn't be happier with it for no cash.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Also an AVAST fan.

I got it after the MacAfee provided with Comcast internet service failed.

Well, I shouldn't say it failed. It alerted me to a virus problem--about 5 minutes AFTER I had already figured it out on my own.

Since then, it has been AVAST all the way. I recently upgraded from the free version. I had been using the free version for two years, and felt that supporting the AVAST programmers was the right thing to do--let your conscience be your guide.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I use the actual free version of AVG, not the trial version and find it very good.

I have used AVAST in the past but found it overly porky and slow.

Ive been putting Microsoft Security Essentials on a few computers lately and found it sufficient and very light on the resources.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also use AVG free and it works just fine and I downloaded ccleaner for free I think thats all thats needed for a home PC.

Atv Auto