Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Ranch stuck in gear, Wrong about # of flashes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ranch stuck in gear, Wrong about # of flashes

This is a redo of my post about my 05 rancher that is stuck in 1st gear. the display is flashing 5 times not 3 like i said in the first post ! Sorry, Thanks again for any help .....

Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default have you tried to manually switch gears

Originally Posted by jearlc
This is a redo of my post about my 05 rancher that is stuck in 1st gear. the display is flashing 5 times not 3 like i said in the first post ! Sorry, Thanks again for any help .....
there is a wrench in your box for manual gear shifting. and what on the display is flashing the gear indicator number or the whole screen. is your battery dying? need more info

Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks for reply !

Hey man, thanks for replying. This is a rancher AT so it has no manual shift lever . I should have given more info in my thread ! I have since found that it was the angle sensor that was the problem . I have the new part but haven't been able to install because i hurt my back trying to start a chain saw, not a honda HA, ! Again , Thanks for the reply!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default mmm

Originally Posted by jearlc
Hey man, thanks for replying. This is a rancher AT so it has no manual shift lever . I should have given more info in my thread ! I have since found that it was the angle sensor that was the problem . I have the new part but haven't been able to install because i hurt my back trying to start a chain saw, not a honda HA, ! Again , Thanks for the reply!
my 06 rancher es has a backup wrench to shift the gears manually. if the battery dies how would you switch gears? mabye u dont know about it, but mine is located spark plug side below the engine next to a mount bolt. there is a wrench for it in the box. im just wondering because how would you get the thing in neutral if its all elecronic trans.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher stuck !

The Rancher AT is either full auto or manual shift with the rocker switches on the handlebars. it has a forward, neutral, and reverse lever on the left side of the gas tank . It's my understanding that Honda doesn't make the Rancher AT anymore because of so many problems with the electrics,trans, etc.. Have a good one.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sometimes you can fool the angle sensor by shifting it into neutral manually with "the wrench" Or in my case a small pair of vice grips that I lock onto the shift post on the right rear side of the engine if you are sitting on it.

As mantioned a bad battery can cause it to stick in gear. The machine I I fixed always did it if you shut it off in gear and then tried to shift it to neutral to start it up again. We initally fixed the problem by only shutting it off in neutral. Then it got worse so we replaced the battery (which was cheaper and easier than the angle sensor). Have not had to do the angle sensor "YET".

SJ