Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

"Start Your Engines" fuel system revitalizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Start Your Engines" fuel system revitalizer

This stuff sounds too good to be true, but I have read many positive reviews on it after it was highly recommended to me by a local guy who is somewhat of a mechanic. It is a product made by the company who also makes Sta-bil. Have any of you folks used it and how well did it work for you?
My problem is that I have a 1994 Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 which, after friends came for a visit and someone left the key on (killing my battery), ended up sitting for several months with gas in the tank and carburetor. Yeah, I know, you're not supposed to do that but it happened. I was finally able to get it running again but it won't stay running unless it's half-choked, and obviously it's a gas hog the way it is. If I take it out on the gravel road and open it up it wants to bog down as soon as I open the choke all the way. Is this stuff worth the money and effort in a situation like mine? I HATE tearing down carburetors and trying to get them set correctly again, so my hope is that this is good stuff.
Any opinions?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

The generator in my trailer hadn't been run in over 2 years, and was not treated at all in that time. We put some of that in the tank with some new gas and got it running.

Then the fuel pump went out.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

stop being lazy and take the carb off and clean it .... gimmicks dont work...

Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

things that are additives such as stabil will work to maintain octane and prevent the fuel from Jelling and gumming up your carb and fuel system if its already gummed up it needs to be taken apart and cleaned real well to get it all out its too late to add something like stabil to it as harm is already done

Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by irinman2424
things that are additives such as stabil will work to maintain octane and prevent the fuel from Jelling and gumming up your carb and fuel system if its already gummed up it needs to be taken apart and cleaned real well to get it all out its too late to add something like stabil to it as harm is already done
OPT

Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, once you get to the point where the gas has turned to varnish and green gunk, only a good removal and scrub out is going to get that stuff loose. You may find you need to soak the carb over night in a liquid cleaner, or even take it to a shop with an ultrasonic cleaner to get the idle passages clear. I ran into the same thing with my 300ex, it sat in storage almost 2 years, the carb was yellowish green inside, all furry, it took all day to scrub it out and blow out the crud that had settled in the passages, but I finally got carb cleaner to blast out the gunk and got it running again.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

Should have read my latest article! haha. But yes a complete tear down of the fuel system is the only way to have a reliable performing machine. Never tried the "start your engines" but cannot see how it could work in a situation like yours. Revitilizing "stale" fuel, maybe... but I would not count on it.

Tips for long term storage of your machine - The Junk man