Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

ATV Carb Issue starts, then dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Carb Issue starts, then dies

Hi guys,

I'm not a two cycle guy, so some two cycle problems are a little tough for me. My grandson's Her Chee ATV is a bit worn, but generally sound. It always had a lag in throttle response (and started hard), which I attributed to low speed mix, but until recently did not have time to examine. Before running this year we replaced the fuel in the tank and drained the carb. I expected to warm it up and then adjust the mix, but as always it was hard to start and when it did start, it will only run about thirty seconds then dies.

I checked the normal stuff, plug (sooty but good), fuel flow (plenty in the bowl and filter is good), electronic connections and other hoses. Seems like it is burning the Prime, but not getting any more through the jets.

That said, it seems to me like a jetting issue, but not knowing these carbs I am not sure where to start. All input is welcome....

Old 06-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you need to take the carb apart and clean the jets along with checking the float needle.Just my two cents on this,better to keep the fuel tank full and stabilized along with a cheap battery tender if it's electric start.A lot of people still drain tanks and carbs,but with todays' fuel,plus air getting into the carb as it will have some fuel residue left after draining,doesn't take long for jets to stop up or needle and seat to gum up/stick. Just crank it up once a month when not in use to keep the fuel moving through the jets. Learned that the hard way myself even with stabilizer when I let it just sit over the winter.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your feedback Old Polaris Tech. I was hoping not to tear down the carb, but I do agree with you that it seems the next logical step. As for the gas, we agree again that stabilizer is a key end of season step to protect against varnish. We treat our tractors and other lawn equipment every season. I only drained the tank after attempting to start it this season. As I noted before I am not experienced with two-stroke carbs, especially the electronic metering (choke). Can you or other readers recommend a tech book on these carbs. Thanks again for your feedback....

Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If it has an electric choke,most don't work worth a flip any way. Doesn't matter what brand of machine they're on. Easier to crank these things by blocking of the air inlet duct with your hand like we had to do on the youth model Polaris atvs.Just not enough vacuum in these small engines to pull in fuel when they're cold. Usually once started they'll crank right back up.