Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Charging system issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system issue

I've read a couple of threads and posts regarding charging system issues, but non specific to my issue and was hoping someone here had some experience with this issue. I'll start with explaining the issue the best I can. Keep in mind I have pretty much zero knowledge so I might get some of my terminology wrong

I bought this bike used about 2 months ago and within the first couple of days it started having issues with charging system. I tried to start it one day and it ended up being complete dead. First thing I noticed was I had 3 cells almost completely drained in the battery. I filled them up and charged it overnight. I brought it to a mechanic who gave me the explanation that I apparently tried to hard to start it and it fried a selanoid and grinded the teeth on the bendex. He replaced those pieces and all was good for a while. But than the starter started acting up sounding like it was missing but eventually it starts. He did say I might eventually need a starter and offered no explanation for why the battery was draining. However, the battery hasn't drained since I got it back, but it does have low voltage testing off and while idling or pressing the throttle. Somewhere just over 11 volts.

I decided to take the side covers off and the front rack to see the voltage regulator and I found this burnt looking wiring harness. It also looks like the previous owner played around in there too as all the wires are taped up with electrical tape assuming factory wouldn't have done that?

Last thing is that the battery warning light is coming on after long rides. But bike still starts fine.

Pictures of burnt cable below....