Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Starts/Idles/25% throttle all fine but gains nothing at half to full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Starts/Idles/25% throttle all fine but gains nothing at half to full throttle

Ok guys, I'm back with my 1997 Polaris Xplorer 500. So here's my scenario. It Starts/Idles/25% throttle all fine no issues what so ever.. once I get to about half throttle and on to full throttle, you can tell there is not extra juice in rpms or speed per say. It may gain a little but it just doesn't open up. My next door neighbor works on them pretty deep, meaning engine rework. But he's a little stumped as well and don't have all the fancy tools to indicate what might be cause so we are sort of guessing at this point. We took the carb completely apart and he cleaned in a sonic bath? not sure what it was but vibrated like crazy in the bath.. was spotless when it came out. Put the carb back on and adjusted. New gas, new spark plug, good oil & filter. It ran the same, half to full throttle issue was still there. Fuel pump was changed only a few years back, carb was rebuilt a few years back as well but don't fully remember how it was acting back then, i'm thinking it was 'good enough' at the time and I think this had slowly gotten worse over time.?.? But the internals of the engine are pretty much OEM so ya i know, old and worn like me . I saw or heard somewhere in my research that a worn out cam lobe for exhaust may cause this issue? I know this thing is old and I don't run it hard as I know it's old for 1, and 2 i'm not a fanatic to drive it hard .

If anyone can give additional suggestion if we are on the right track about the cam please let us know OR if there are other things we need to check please specify and we'll dive into it as much as possible and check it out. I know I have had help with information from OldPolarisTech before and his information is extremely helpful. But it has been a while since I have been on the forum for help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading more and more that my symptoms appear to be that worn out lobe for the exhaust on the cam. I have ordered a cam + the rocker arms will be here on 10/15/2021. I'll post back on what the findings are once this is in. If any one has anything else to checkout in the meanwhile, i'm game for information . thanks in advance.