Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

GMC Sierra towing capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMC Sierra towing capabilities

I have an 02 1500 2wd it has the 4.8 auto with the factory towing package with the tow/haul option.

At the end of April I will be using a friends enclosed trailer to go to Tenn. from NY it weighs 2500 empty with quads and gear I'm estimating about 4500 total weight. It's rated for 6500 towing capacity but I'm not sure how well it will tow.

Does anyone tow this kind of weight with a half ton and if so what can expect? Is it going to be too hard on it? I think not but would like to know others haul that weight around without a problem.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will do it but you'll be pushing things to it's limit. You'll have some problems maintaining interstate speeds on long hills. With towing 4,500 lbs, plus your weight of gear, people and fuel, even the 5.3 would feel this load. Add in the possible windage for the enclosed trailer and you could see some overheating issues. You'll also have to be sure that you balance the load for a 10% to 15% tongue weight. IIRC, your total payload is in the 1,500lb to 1,800 lb range. If you have three people (600 lbs), a full load of fuel (200 lbs)and a normal tongue weight (650 lbs) you are only going to have a few hundred pounds available for gear.

For such a long trip, it's worth a dry run to see how everything works together. Load up everything that you're planning on hauling to Tennessee and see how it does on a shorter trip.

On the plus side, you'll love riding in Tennessee.

Jaybee

Old 03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Ol
Range Rover

I had a '95 GMC 1500 with the 5.3L engine. One trip towing my new 4500# RV plus ancilliary equipment and I was convinced that pulling that rig over the high Sierras would be pushing the envelope. I dumped the GMC and bought a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins.

I's say that Jaybeecon55's comments are dead on (and he's right as the mail about Tennessee too - beautiful place!! )

Old 03-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys I think j/k

Typically I haul a 3 place open trailer and only 2 to 4 hrs away. So this will be a big test. It only has 14k so she's new, strong and under warranty. The trailer is not a V-nose so wind will probably play a factor.

I'll see if I can do a "dry run" prior just to get a feel.

We will be taking 90 to Cleveland, 71 to Cincinnati and 75 to Knoxville. This is the quickest route given and looks to be flat as well not like going through PA and WV.

I am psyched about riding Windrock, can't wait[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

I have had a few those late mdl GM trucks 99 ,01,02,03 and still have several in my company fleet, I can tell you that don't be to alarmed when the truck down shifts and jumps the revs up to about 5000 rpms. The late mdl 4.8's and 5.3's are designed to give peak performance at much higher rpms than the old 350's. Even though the truck might be able to pull the load at over 70 mph out on the interstate, becarefull the rearend is not set up for that kind of work. I know first hand how the rear diff will overheat ubder heavy loads and high speeds. The main reason I desided to jump up to 3/4 ton trucks for personal use was to get away from this problem. Plus even though its fairly safe to run the trucks at the High rpms that will likely be needed to pull a load of that size, They burn a lot (a lot ) of gas when doing so. The 4.8 is a great motor for light loads and running empty they realy are not made to take the heavy loads you are talking about. The speeds that I found would not cause the rearend to overheat was to keep under 65. If you smell a stange burnt smell from the back of the truck its the rear diff getting to hot, I melted the paint off a few of them. I have pulled as much as 7800lbs with a 4.8 ,it will do it , but it sure worked its ?@# off. Good luck on your trip, keep your speed down you should be ok.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ol
I had a '95 GMC 1500 with the 5.3L engine.
A '95 with a 5.3?

Old 03-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I know that on the newest motors there is only a 10 horsepower diffrence between the 5.3 and the 4.8, The torque i am not quite sure about, buy could always get it dueled out with some 2 1/4 inch pipe and a dynomax muffler. good power right there, also the cold air intake from K&N has worked great for people, A chip is always a good idea also, But for towing with that load a shift kit would be a very good idea. It will help with the uphill pull and helps your gas mileage out. B&M makes a good one. The only problem i see with these products are that they may void your warrenty.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Didnt c the post about the 95 with a 5.3 but 95 was the the first year of the vortech, and the options were still the 350, 5.7 and the 305, wich is a 5.0, The 327 didnt come out untill 99 and thats a 5.3

Old 03-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

The '95 requires the use of a power programmer if I'm not mistaken.

They are what's known as OBD 2. No chip. The programmer will allow you to change shift points and RPM redline when towing and you can set it back when unloaded. I have one of these for my truck and it works awesome.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

i have a sierra 2500. i can haul, pull anything. you won't have a problem

Quick Reply: GMC Sierra towing capabilities