Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Question about a Trailer to Haul ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 03:13 AM
Ol
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a Trailer to Haul ATVs

I've been hauling my Rancher in the back of my Dodge Ram. Easy enough except getting it UP the VERY steep ramps (84" ramps up to 39" bed height) tends to get dicey as I get older along with my reflexes.

Two things have occurred: I decided to buy a flat bed utility trailer to pull the ATV for local runs and at the same time decided to buy a second ATV - thus ensuring a ride when I invite some of my non - ATV owning friends over to my 1881 Ranch in the desert.

My limiting factor is parking space in my garage: I currently have a 5x10 Wells Cargo enclosed trailer which is packed FULL of my orchestra stuff (stands, PA, speakers, music library, etc). It is ABSOULTELY NOT practical to load and unload this trailer as frequently as I use it - especially when I'd have to do it myself (I have Roadies do it on giogs). So, the new flatbed utility trailer must be parked beside the orchestra trailer and 5x10 is the maximum space I can allow.

Question: the saleman assures me that I can simultaneously haul both the Rancher and the soon to be acquired Recon on the trailer with no big sweat. The rancher wheelbase is 49.1" and the LOA is 78" The Recon wheelbase is 44.5" and the LOA is 70.6"
Do you think I can get them both on a 10 foot platform?? Suggestions??

Thanks -

Old 03-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

I don't think you will be able to get them both on a 5x10 and haul them. You would want at least 6 foot wide. The Recon is right at 6 foot long, (total overall legnth, bumper to bumper.)and the Rancher a few inches longer. You might get by with a 6 foot wide trailer but I wouldn't recommend it.

I hear you about the truck bed height. I have a 4x4 with 33" tires and my bed is also 40" off the ground. To solve my delima I opted to put a 7x8 flatbed on my truck. I haul a Recon and a Rancher and it and they fit great. I load sideways and never have to back my quads off the truck anymore. Just ride up one side and down the other! Plus, now I can haul both quads and the camper!

I know some don't like the looks of a flatbed but after having had one for 4 years, I cannot see me going back to a standard bed. Best of luck!

Old 03-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Ya...a six footer or a seven foot wide trailer would be great..then you could set the quads side by side...If it were me I would have a small trailer for a single quad and still load the rancher in the bed of the truck...I would defenetly invest in some longer loading ramps though

Old 03-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Quadracer18,
I'm seriously leaning in the direction you suggest.

Actually, putting the exixting ramps on the hooked-up trailer would make it a piece of cake to drive onto the trailer and then up that ramp into the truck. On the occasion when I have to pull my RV trailer I'm no worse off than I am now (1 ATV) or the rider of the second ATV could pull that trailer in another vehicle and still have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

a small trailer for one and the other in the bed is nice, but what if
you need to haul other things, camping supplies, ect.. I would
opt for the larger trailer, you should be able to get on on straight
and one sideways, on a 6x10

Old 03-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

I have hauled two on a 5' x 8' trailer. I had a 350 Yamaha Wolverine and a Suzuki 500 4x4 on at the same time. It is a tite fit but it does work, just make sure you strap down really well. If you could get the space for a 12' long trailer you could haul both inline and you wouldn't hardly know the trailer is back there.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Not knowing the brand, I'd seriously look at the weight rating.... you may be overloading it. I went the snowmobile trailer route. The bed alone is 102" by 10'. It pulls nicely, I can haul 3 quads and 2 dirt bikes... but the downside is the thing is an aircraft carrier out back. I have a full size Dodge Ram pickup, and it sticks out a foot at least on each side.

It is all alluminum though, so it pulls easily. There are some companies out there that sell 2 and 3 place snowmobile trailers that put them inline, instead of side by side. You might look into those too. http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ol, I see you are in Central California. I am in Bakersfield and have my own ATV [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Did you say you have a ranch with over 1800 acres? That sounds nice. Let me know if you need someone to follow you around on the trails. Do you do any hunting on your ranch?

Chris

Old 03-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Chris,
My ranch is 180 acres NOT 1800 (and in Nevada, not California). Regardless, I have about 400-500 square miles of deep desert wilderness to ride immediately adjacent to my property.

Yes, there is game there, rabbits, coyotes, mountain lions, sheep, birds of many variety, and (NOT GAME) wild horses - the herd was close to 200 year before last and thinned out a bit last year.

No, we don't hunt over there. It's tough enough for the beasties to make a living in the desert without having to worry about being shot at all the time.

Yes, I am a hunter - or used to be - and have no problem taking any animal for food, but with the exception of ground-hogs, sport shooting animals has lost it's attraction for me.

We do a LOT of shooting over there though. I'm working on a "cowboy town" for cowboy action shooting. Currently I only have enough steel targets for one stage. I also have a 1000 yard rifle range for shootingthe big 19th century buffalo guns.

Mostly, we explore the desert (ghost towns and ruins and such) and prospect. The area is full of mines, both old and recent, and there is gold and other mineral wealth in the area.

Old 03-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Ol, how's it going? Just in case you haven't seen it, take a look at the photos in my album here and check out my new trailer for my 2 Sportsman. Might be bigger than what your going after but perhaps it will give you an idea of scale. Hope it helps.

BTW...that trailer is 77" wide rail to rail (inside measurement) and is considered a 14 footer.

~TD

Quick Reply: Question about a Trailer to Haul ATVs