Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

pop-ups

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pop-ups

I just purchased a pop-up camper and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as far as towing goes. I have a 97 f-150 and a 17 foot car trailer, but i cant tow both at the same time, plus the three quads and ktm 50. i was wondering about strapping a quad to the roof of the pop-up (it is really tough, i can walk on it no problem) just wondering if anybody out there has any suggestions.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default pop-ups

I wanted to do that several years ago. But the suspension on the camper was the problem, not the roof.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default pop-ups

put the camper on the trailer.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default pop-ups

I've got a pop-up as well....I've often thought about taking the axle off and mounting the pop-up to the bed of my 97 f250.......then I could pull the trailer..

G.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pop-ups

It depends on what size of a quad you plan to put on the top of the camper, and also what brand and size of pop up you purchased. In your owners manual it should list the maximum roof carrying capacity of the popup. They are designed to hold things like canoes and bicycles, but a 350lb+ quad will be too much for some of the models. If you cant find the info check with your dealer or the company's website.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default pop-ups

well i bought it used so i have no paperwork and it is a 1991 vanguard. i was gonna put my mojave on it. this post worked better then i thought, i figured everybody would call me dumba@@ for even thinking it. anyway thanks for the input and any more suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default pop-ups

My current quad trailer is an old pop up camper frame. It was flooded at the Shoe and some boys tried to pull it out, The frame yanked right out from under the camper. Its a nice flat trailer with lots of space.

I also have a Jayco popup that I was gonna put a bigger axle under and some suspension and strenghthen the roof. it is rated for 350lsb. A platform to spread the weight over the entire roof would also serve as a viewing platform when set up. Don't know if the lifting mechanism would support the load tho.

If you roof wont support a couple people, you can built a brace that will slip into the trailer when lowered.(like a table top).put the load directly over the axles and you should have no problems. When you load it the roof will need to support the quad and the rider who puts it up there.

Good luck!! It will work!

P.S. I'm looking to add ramps to a rail buggy to load mt quad ontop of it.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default pop-ups

Originally posted by: eiger2
I also have a Jayco popup that I was gonna put a bigger axle under and some suspension and strenghthen the roof. it is rated for 350lsb. A platform to spread the weight over the entire roof would also serve as a viewing platform when set up. Don't know if the lifting mechanism would support the load tho.

If you roof wont support a couple people, you can built a brace that will slip into the trailer when lowered.(like a table top).put the load directly over the axles and you should have no problems. When you load it the roof will need to support the quad and the rider who puts it up there.

Good luck!! It will work!
Pop ups have a rating of 150lbs for top cargo. Your mojave will definately exceed it. The 350lbs is most likely the amount the trailer will carry when full of fluids and luggage and supplies. A brace structrue is an idea, but it will more than likely cause structrual damage to the roof. Unless you support the roof with a sheet of thick plywood or steel grading you will cause roof damage.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default pop-ups

My dad gave me this Jayco. He bought it 25 years ago. the selling point to my dad was the high roof rating. At the RV show the salesman invited people to walk on the roof. My dad then asked to walk on every other roof at the show and they all refused. Its a big mammer jammer as far as popups go.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default pop-ups

walking on the roof is one thing, carrying that load on the suspension on a highway at 70mph or down a bumpy dirt road to a campground is quite another. Dont confuse the two. I work for a camper dealership and we walk on the roofs all of the time for service and to install air conditioners on popups, but going down the road with a load is different.

Quick Reply: pop-ups