Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you like your Carson ToyBox?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your Carson ToyBox?

Thanks everyone for there advise on the Carson trailers, i ended up find a used 2003 22' front bath model FunRunner with everything but a get set from someone i meet over the web, he sold it to me with the hitch work and all for $10,000 needless to say im one happy son of a bitch. BTW i have on order two Honda EU2000i generators (very quiet models) from power made easy.com and a parallel cable connecting the two generator making one 4,000 watt gen. for $1,800 shipped to my door in case anyone is looking for the best price, i've hunted all over the web for this cheap price on a new generator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

eman4000:

We bought our EU2000i's from Powermadeeasy a couple of years ago. During the shipping one of them was damaged and those folks really went out of their way to get another unit to us before we were scheduled to leave on vacation. Glad to hear they are still the best place to buy. Judging from our experiance I would suspect you can depend on excellent service from them.

Congradulations on your new toy hauler, you will be right at the limit for that half ton pickup and may have a little trouble getting all that weight stopped. Speaking from experiance here as I have towed a lot over the years. Keep your speed down and consider trading up to a 3/4 ton when you change rigs.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a 20 FUnrunner(front bath) from Mr Zeedler's dad. I have benn very happy with it, but:

Since then I have seen new trailers that have nice features, such as outdoor speakers, outdoor electric plugs, way nicer side and rear lights (a lot brighter). NOne of that really causes me any regret.

But the only thing I think my FUnrunner needs, is a larger fresh water tank, mine is only 50 or 60 gallons and 100 would be way better. And I wish I would have bought the heavier duty axles. And maybe the metal plate armor rockguards on the front of the trailer...

I have about 30,000 miles on my 2001 FUnrunner and the only problem I had was one flat tire, the last time out.... and oh yeah, I wash mine out with a hose and water accumulated in the square box channel at the rear of the trailer, and after it filled up, nasty black water was leaking back into the trailer.....but two 1/4 inch holes drilled thru the channel allows the water to drain....

But, love the trailer, can't go back to truck or tent camping, no way.

Oh, yeah, can get three quads or two quads and two bikes in there and still squeeze by to the refridgerator and bathroom.

1/2 ton truck....transmission, and brakes would be my concern. Don't over pull the thing, save your tranny, don't go more than about 65 and your tranny probably won't smoke...definatley use load leveler hitch...

Old 04-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I was pulling big loads with a half ton for several years. 97 then a 99 F150 4x4 had the 5.4 liter automatic. Pulled a 22' 5th wheel, and behind that was our trailer with 4 quads. My total gross was around 14,000. It did it but it was working. I changed the tranny fluid every year. The guys at lube quick would say Hey you don't need to change this already, I'd tell them do it, and when it drained they'd say "Wow this stuff is trashed good thing you're changing it."

I finally went to a Duramax crew cab not only for space but for peace of mind. I was sure I'd burn a tranny or engine or eat an axle bearing or something, but in retrospect that little Ford did ten times the work it was designed for and never gave me a problem.

Old 05-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Eman...
Glad to hear you got the deal or even better you were looking for....!!!!

I have to disagrees with Zeeedler....
He says that Carson and Warrior are built the "same". Naaaa.... Warrior is on a Zeiman Chassis. Carson is on some rinky dink trailer chassis, not built for huge loads. I know this... as I used to own one. And for "same materials"... yes and no plays here. Sure, most trailers use the same materials - wood, alum, steel, ...etc However it's the way it's put together. My Carson for example... well it showed the 2x3 wood studs through the alum corrugated siding from bowing and flexing into my yard. The Carson only being 22' long... didn't do too much flexing and should have been stout. HOWEVER... my 30' Warrior doesn't show a single sign of flex or bow.... and it goes in and out of the same yard. I could go on and on... over what is better... but ya know, it's hindsight as Emans already got his beloved cargo box. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I think all in all ... when you buy a Carson, Warrior, Thor, Fleetwood....etc it will hold together. But it's mostly the layout and accessories you get that makes us buy them (as well as looks...etc). For example, my Warrior has a 5.5 Onan Gold generator... damn thing is as quiet as a mouse. But when my buddy pulls up next to me in his 24' Carson and his 4k watt Generac.... I'd think he was running his Raptor without a pipe!!! Geeezus!!! SO IMHO...

I think you get what you pay for.... I used the Carson as a stepping stone. It sounds like some of you will too!!! As the Carson works... and works well. Out the door cost is cheap too.... so you really can't go wrong. That is unless you want all the options, the bigger better parts (like the generator)..... then you're going to have to pay for it. I did... my trailer was $29,900 out the door... An FS3000, smooth siding, Dual A/Cs.... outside speakers and amp... extra exterior lights, added interior lights.... etc. etc. I loaded this thing!!! And it still was $6k under what a couple other people I know paid. But you can still buy two Carsons for what i paid huh?!?!?! Sounds kinda nutty doesn't it??!! Man... I shouldn't think that way... or I better go out and use this thing more often!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Like anything... you have your Mercedes... and your Toyotas... and your Hyundais... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

OH... and i almost forgot...
SUUUURE weight distribution helps. But it only takes the weight off of the hitch, moving it forward down the length of the tow vehicle... IT DOES NOT TAKE GVW and remove it! You can hitch up 20,000lbs... you just might be able to tow it!! I too tow a huge load... I think my Excursion and Trailer weighed in at about 23,000lbs. at the truck stop. My tongue weight is an astronomical 1600lbs (cured by a air-ride hitch and weigh distribution, plus air bags on the Exco) but it tows like a dream..... I guess my GEAR VENDORS splitter helps out too!!! It gives me an 8 speed tranny for that V10. I pass diesels like they were standing still!! However... it cost me an arm and a leg to do it!! LOL!!!

Old 06-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I was totally happy with the three years I had my 27' Fun Runner. Beyond that, I pulled it with my lifted 1999 5.4 F150. No gearing, no intake or exhaust, nothing. I had to work it on the grade to and from Gordins Well, but never had a problem.
Just remember, with anything: The more you take care of it, the better it will take care of you.
Now I have a 38' Sierra Sport 5th wheel, loaded with everything, pulled by my 2002 Ford Powerstroke.
I am very much in bliss!

Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrZeeedler
we sell carson trailers and the funrunners are a great trailer we have also used them and they are very good. We have demod some trailers and they seem to hold up fine. I have been to carsons factory about 4 times and visited weekend warriors. They are built with exactly the same materials and exactly the same way down a assembly line. I highly reccomend the fun runner to you, you will be very happy.
If everyone is still around from this post, here's my questions. I'm in the market for a toy hauler, but want to keep it at the 16' or 18' range. Preferably the 16' range to keep the weight as low down as possible.

My first question is for everyone, I've called a few Rv dealers and two Carson dealers. The traditional RV dealers seemd very willing to negotiate on price, internet pricing, fleet pricing etc. But the two Carson dealers were not. Now the Carson prices were cheaper to begin with, for example a 16' weekend warrior with the same options as the Carson was list price at about $15k, but the dealer quoted "internet pricing" at $13k. The Carson msrp was only $11k. So does Carson deal on the Fun Runners?

The next question is more for Mr.Zeeedler. I've talked to two Carson locations. One said that they cannot put a generator on teh 16' while the other said that they could custom place a generator. So who's right?

Old 01-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

How about forgetting the on board generator and get a Honda EU2000 ....you can get by with that...

Old 01-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

Hi Katstoy,

When I was shopping for my Carson trailer the dealers did not want to budge on there "fixed" prices. Thou, most were willing to throw in small extras if you talked to them, spare tire, extra battery, etc. I've owned mine now since last april and i'm now a happy camper, no more tent camping for me.
If your buying new, i'd make them put different tires; the Charsile tires (sp?) are junk. I'm sure you know about that already, i think i've seen you screen name over at rv.net?
ditto on the honda eu2000i's gen set, if you don't run the a/c, one can power your whole trailer, buy two and couple them together for $45 to run your a/c. You can find the "$45 do it yourself coupler" on the web over at rv.net, the thing i like best is that there 50 lbs and can be used at home in case your power ever goes out, just be carefull where/ how you store them, they get stolen very easy at 50 lbs each. I had one ripped off......rat bastards.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

The frontrunner with front bed 26 ft says the gross weight (trailer plus load) is 7000 lbs. Does that sound right?

Quick Reply: How do you like your Carson ToyBox?